Laser Indexing Question

I have a number of small (approx 1" diameter but not exactly round) stainless steel parts I’d like to Cerakote (or similar) and then etch to make wording from remaining paint. The parts are small enough that a small misalignment would ruin them.

I’ve been brainstorming ways to get the alignment perfect and this is the best I’ve come up with. I’d like folks’ opinions on it.

I can make a 2-color drawing with one color being the outline of the parts, the other the text. I’ll place a piece of 1/8 plywood or MDF and then cut the part outlines. Without moving the board, I remove the cut shapes and then place my parts in the resulting holes. Then run the etch job.

Does that seem like a reasonable way to do this?

Thanks!

That’s exactly what I would do.

If alignment is super critical, plan your kerf carefully. 0.008" kerf is fairly typical. YMMD !!

1 Like

I would recommend making an origin mark as a cross as an additional check, so just in case it moves, you can still realign and not start from scratch.

3 Likes

Ok, thanks guys. Thousandths won’t hurt but do need to oversize the holes so parts will fit. Since they are irregular (but all identical) making the part outlines will be a challenge. I wonder if 3D Fab has a scanner that would help…

It’s in the digital media room! I don’t know it well enough to teach classes or I would.

Edit, but if you’re making a path for a laser it might be easier to photograph and vectorize the outline

2 Likes

Thanks, Tom. Didn’t think of that. Can did. And Screen Calipers make sizing easy.

2 Likes