Laser engrave on acrylic paint?

Hello,

Does anyone see an issue with engraving on acrylic paint atop wood? Saw this video on youtube and I think it would greatly simplify a project I’m working on.

Thanks!
Michael

How deeply did you research this issue on Google first? My quick internet search revealed the following, so the answer appears to be that it shouldn’t be allowed because of hazardous gasses and heavy metals that can poison:

Thanks david. I did not research beyond the video. I do remember seeing acrylic on the safe material list without any exclusion criteria. Laser Cutter Materials - Dallas Makerspace

Why would an acrylic sheet be okay but acrylic paint be a no-go?

Because acrylic paint and acrylic sheet are entirely different materials.

Okay, thanks for explaining. I guess it wouldn’t help that local engraving companies are okay with it, right?

It’s always up to the chair, but in general we’ve restricted some materials that a professional service would be ok with (ABS, for example), at least in part because our users are generally less experienced than the operators at an engraving shop, and may not know the best way to run the job to prevent damage to the machine in the long term.

Thanks everyone. Do you know of any laser safe paints I can use?