Laser Emergency/Followup Maintenance Day - Tursday 4/14 @ 6:30pm

During the 4/9 committee meeting & maintenance we were able to determine that the laser tube in Big Thunder is almost out. Our gauge currently has it outputting somewhere around 65 watts of an expected 130, down from 90 of last month. Additionally, it was noticed that the optics are getting close to being significantly misaligned as well.

We’ve determined that replacing the laser tube is something that will need to happen sooner rather than later, given the falloff in power we’ve been seeing and the fact that the last replacement of the tube was (I believe) in 2019. To that end, I’ve put up an emergency maintenance day for this coming Thursday the 14th at 6:30pm to get that done. While we’re at it we can also re-align the optics, which will need to be done starting with the first mirror in the back of the system.

This is the first tube change since I’ve taken over the position of Laser Chair, and while I’m in the process of reading up how it works, if anyone out there has experience from changing the previous tubes, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris V.
PS: During this maintenance I’d also like to try and fix the autofocus on the Fusion. We have the replacement plunger and the new cable ready to go, and waiting on it doesn’t make sense anymore. So that’s also on the list of things to get handled that day.

1 Like

December 2020 iirc. Still, doesn’t seem outside the norm for DMS.

1 Like

Was that big thunder or was that Donner? I know that we had issues with Donner around COVID I think.

EDIT: It helps if I read the link. Yeah, Dec 2020. That’s still probably about right for DMS though. Thanks Michael

Just a reminder that this is happening today. Anyone who has experience replacing a tube and can show up and help would be appreciated.

I might be in to help a bit but I have the candidates meeting at 7. the tube isnt too hard to align. just takes time

I’m hoping to get some gauges installed in the Lemons car tonight (the race is coming up quick), but I’ll be nearby.

Looked like @cvrana @Hanna_Kessler and (I’m sorry I don’t have the third hand’s name) put in several hours (or more) of work on this.

I don’t use the Thunders but appreciate the efforts of these volunteers!

Thanks!

1 Like

At work I just bought a new Fusion and it lacks the manual focus (which invites destruction) and the autofocus is built into the lens holder assembly. Is this an option for us in the future? It seems to eliminate danger points.

Is this why is turned off as for today? I used it on Monday, just making sure. Thanks

Big Thunder is off? This is the first I’m hearing of it.

Hard to tell from the camera but someone is working in lasers at the moment.

I just ran a job with it and it was doing great, aside from the fact someone set the default speed to slooooow (which is fixed).

1 Like

I may need to tell people to stop fucking with default speed on the system settings. I’ve had it happen a few times. That’s why you can set your own speed in the actual job before sending it.

1 Like

It’s very easy to accidentally do from lightburn. If you click the “move” tab in the upper-right pane and mess with the speed settings there, it sets the default move settings on the laser.

I’m guessing someone thought they were editing their layer settings and did that. It’s actually how I fixed it too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for fixing it. I’lll keep an eye on it