Laser Crossover Class Blueprint & Invitation

Crossover: an instance of breaking into another category. (Merriam Webster)

It’s not just for superhero TV shows.

Would DMS’ wonderful, amazing instructors please invent more crossover classes that include Laser? Here’s a blueprint…

Creative Arts’ Printmaking SIG offers a regular class in laser-engraved block printing. What makes it a crossover? (1) Part of the curriculum uses a laser. (2) Part uses another methodology: a printing press. (3) just like a good crossover superhero episode…It’s amazing! The possibilities, the new direction! I took this class last month and it blew my mind. Beautiful freaking art. I still can’t believe it’s possible. And Astrud offers open print-a-thons every other month where members can reserve time on the press.

Just how did instructors Paul Wilson (@Hardsuit) and Astrud make it work?
Given that you need to be Laser Basics-trained to operate DMS’ lasers?
And there might be turf war over tools and committee honorarium?

• Paul is Laser Basics-trained and a capable laser operator.
  • They reserved time on a laser. Event calendar allows instructors to flag multiple committees and multiple tools.
  • Primarily for time constraints, they performed the engraving in advance themselves. They limited laser instruction to a lecture and demonstration, i.e. no hands-on. Which means they could keep enrollment open to non-Laser Basics students. And all the while, they encouraged their students to get certified. (Optionally, they could have limited the class to Laser Basics-trained students.)
  • They directed the committee honorarium as they wished. Laser is self-sustaining; our pay-off is a richer class selection.

Laser would be honored if this blueprint gave life to new classes. We brought this up at the member meeting. Paul is interested in teaching a marquetry class from the viewpoint of VECTOR. @cmcooper0 is considering how Fired Arts could crossover. At holiday time, @talkers combined the lathe with laser to make engraved screwdriver handles. In the past, Leather-n-Lasers has been an offering, though I don’t know who the instructor was.

9 Likes

Brady Pamplin @bpamplin and @NickWebb, make this a crossover class please please please? Look…laser cut gears! Arduino!
Did I say gears? Gears.

4 Likes

I believe that JJ @apparently_weird may have been the instructor.

3 Likes

I think it is a great idea! I have a couple of Arduino related classes which emphasize sensors but do not touch fascinating accessories like stepper motors. There are many potential exercises for a class that might involve laser cut parts controlled with an Arduino, stepper and possibly other parts. A class could involve:

• brief intro to Arduino
  • stepper motors and controller boards
  • overview of steps involved in cutting the parts on the laser
  • students could pair up, load the software, put the parts together and run it
  • students would go home with a copy of the presentation, Arduino programs, RDWorks files ready to cut their own parts for all exercises

I hereby nominate @NickWebb to run the class and collect all rewards. Any seconds?

I will fully support Nick in every way. If you do not know Nick, he is @heyheymama’s son and is busy working on Eagle scout requirements. He recently agreed to assist me in my electronics classes and will be teaching portions of them.

6 Likes

I’m just listening to the video for the music. :slight_smile: But the gears are fun to watch.

I would love to see some type of multi-disciplinary furniture making project (or anything for the home really) involving woodshop (materials) / welding (structural) / lasers (graphics and design). Could probably even incorporate Leatherworking or block printing into the mix somewhere. I’d offer to contribute, but I’m not an SME in any of these areas.

2 Likes

@John_Marlow is correct, I was the originator of the Leather-n-Lasers class. The class is a “project” class, however is introduced as neither a replacement for Laser Basics nor Leather Basics. The class is typically taught in CA, with the first hour designing the project from scratch in Inkscape. That way anyone can feel comfortable designing whatever sparks their interest. We then take that design and cut one on the laser. This demos the settings and overall procedure. The laser is only reserved for approximately 30 minutes, minimizing impact to other users. We then return to CA where other kits have been previously cut and finish the project. This does include dealing with “burnt edges” as well as hand stitching the laser cut stitch holes. Previously I have inquired from finance if there is any way the class fee can go to laser and honorarium go to Laser, however have never received a response. Ideally I would like to alternate the honorarium between the two committees, however the class fee covers the leather goods so needs to be directed accordingly.

7 Likes

If Nick is willing to teach it, would be a good course.

2 Likes

Hello, JJ. You get it, exactly. Sounds like you pioneered the Crossover Class Blueprint. Would you care to teach another offering? Not concerned about honorarium, though your sense of fairness is much appreciated. Laser collects enough in fees to keep its lights on. Another way to look at it…30 minutes of laser time is 6 bucks. That’s not going to change Laser’s standard of living. Plus we have 4 lasers now, so wouldn’t tie up the queue. We’ll advertise within our area to help you fill the class.

2 Likes

Great ideas come from great people this all sounds awesome I’ll be watching the event callender I have a tight schedule but would be honored to assist in teaching as a teacher aid.

1 Like

I second the motion that @NickWebb teach! Love to see this happen!

4 Likes

OMG, Brady. That sounds amazing. Mostly because I didn’t understand a word. Electronics is a foreign glitzy land with a language all its own. For pete’s sake, I haven’t even figured out how to add LEDs to my creations. (now how to get Number One son @NickWebb to make.this.happen?)

2 Likes

Cross pollinating across different committee areas on a project broadens one’s knowledge base and interests. I use a personal example when I occasionally address tour groups. It goes something like this:

I designed/built this electronic widget. I now need something to house it. My options at DMS are:

Learn the lasers and make an acrylic box.
Learn the shear and break in Metal Shop and make a metal box
Learn the bridgeport and/or Haas cnc in the Machine Shop and make a metal/plastic/or? box.
Learn how to 3d print in 3d Fab and make a box.
Learn how to use the tools in Wood Shop and make a box.
A common thing to all of the above is learning CAD such as Fusion 360.

The possibilities for that box are limited only by one’s imagination.
…And possibly by one’s skill set…which can be expanded…which is why DMS exists.

This post goes a bit off on a tangent. I think classes that that involve multiple disciplines are wanted and needed.
There are a lot of possibilities with acrylic, LEDs, steppers/servos, embedded brds, etc.
Cosplay is another area.
This was posted not to long ago:

2 Likes

I am one of the folks that would love to see lots of crossover classes

The lasers are useful for folks in so many area, even in jewelry

2 Likes

I second that. Sounds like a great idea!

2 Likes

I ll second it also !!!

The big problem will be time. When I met Nick before the laser committee meeting, I asked if he would like to present some of the material in my classes and he said yes. I asked if he would like to take over and run some of my Arduino Sensors classes and he said yes. Those are areas that he is mostly familiar with and can do with not a lot of time of preparation. He can sit through one and I can help with a couple of practice sessions and I’m sure he will be ready.

The class proposed above will be different. I would want him to carry the load with my support. He can pull a number of slides from my classes but a number of new slides would need to be developed from scratch. A project must be identified. Your video is fascinating as are Arduino/laser cut clocks. I would strongly suggest finding a first project which has the laser pattern established. There is more than enough work to do without getting bogged down designing gears. It will take a while but he can run a couple of Arduino Sensor classes to fund the required parts.

I, for one, second the motion that @NickWebb bring this class into the real. Any other multi-disciplinary classes are also valued.

1 Like

@morganntho has also taught a leather & laser class.

Yesterday I remembered I taught Fusion 360 & laser classes :open_mouth:

@bpamplin @NickWebb we could do a useless box series.

1. Arduino using sensors and motors, and coding
  2. developing a proper circuit for production @artg_dms. Then Fab the board or send it out to be Fab
  3. Case design and laser or woodshop
  4. 3d design and print parts
4 Likes

Useless boxes are the greatest invention ever!

4 Likes

@NickWebb - More excellent ideas from @talkers and @mblatz! You could define a goal, recruit a team and lead them to successfully produce the object. In business, its called Project Management and it pay$ very well!

2 Likes