Laser computer font question

Is there a way to get admin rights added for each user that would enable us to add TrueType fonts to the machines? I was trying to add some fonts to raster from Inkscape and couldn’t get it going. The font selection appeared to be very minimal

I think the best thing to do is create your design with your desired font on your computer and convert it to a path before saving and trying to load up on the laser computer. Then there’s no worry about what fonts are available on each computer, and you’re ready to run your job without spending time converting things to paths and finalizing your design on the laser computer.

Just as discussion for all, the computers in the laser area are for loading your jobs to the laser, not making your designs. That ensures the laser isn’t tied up for longer than necessary and folks can move through the queue as quickly as possible.

6 Likes

That’s the process I use. It has the added advantage of being able to completely design the entire cut prior to getting on the laser and works wonderfully.

3 Likes

That’s what I have to do, and use inkscape.

But I do not have Adobe illustrator. We have license for 8 computers, the 3 in laser, the one in Digital Frontiers Annex, and another in CA.

We need more machines to work on design, and they should have a way for users to add free fonts or user purchased fonts.

3 Likes

@talkers, I agree, this isn’t an issue limited to the laser computer. As we can not add fonts on any machines in DMS. You must only use system fonts if your only access to graphic design software is at DMS.

I’ve brought this up in the past and @bscharff didn’t know of an easy method to implement the change. Maybe @StanSimmons can find a solution. But, I bet not as Windows handles fonts in a very clunky way, it effectively turns fonts into core system files. I doubt there is a good solution, because allowing users the admin ability to add and remove core system files doesn’t sound like a good solution.

@setharnold, I’m sorry there isn’t an easy solution and the one in place is kind of get over it and deal. But, sometimes that is how the cookie crumbles.

1 Like

One thing may be worth trying: fonts can be embedded in PDFs. It is anybody’s guess at this point what the laser does with them. Please publish the result, anybody who tries this.

Among many boneheaded decisions made by Microsoft, Windows fonts are actually DLLs, meaning it is very easy to infect a system with them.

2 Likes

This.
We can’t just change permissions on the Font folder as they will be reverted regularly by Windows Updates.

Just do what @merissa said. We will not be granting admin rights to “Everyone” on any machines due to obvious security risks.

2 Likes

If you want a specific font added to a specific machine, bring it to me and I’ll scan it and install it on that machine. If you want to add 100 fonts, find a different solution.

1 Like

:smiling_imp: I have 15,000 fonts of questionable legality. What now?

Just kidding

we have the exact same issue with fonts at my work. customer sends us a font file, and its a nightmare to get it cleared through IT. stupid Windows and using font files as core .dll’s

The thing is we don’t have a computer lab, per se, we have computers necessary to operate our tools and some loaners laptops. If you’re going to be designing things and want to be able to install whatever you want, you should be doing it on your personal computer.

1 Like

@merissa, you might want to clarify if you are talking about the Laser committee or DMS. Dms has multiple computers to design on. There are two in digital media and one in the creative arts annex. These computers were setup specifically for tasks like this.

@StanSimmons, beware of licensing of fonts!

1 Like