Laser Committee Meeting and Maintenance Day - 5/16/21

The next Laser Committee Meeting will be on Sunday, May 16th at 5 pm. We will meet in the Lecture Hall.
Items on the agenda so far:

• Updates to Laser Basics Class
  • New Class Ideas involving multiple departments
  • Installing Cameras in the Thunder
  • Updates on supplies
  • Other exciting things probably

After the meeting, we will go to the Laser Area and do the usual maintenance on the lasers to keep them running well.

Please come if you have an interest in the lasers, would like to learn more about how to keep them running, or would like to help plan future things for the lasers.

5 Likes

I will be there, would love to see if I can convince the committee to get some training material online.

Also a reminder that it’s actually time for another election as well (time flies, etc.) :slight_smile:

1 Like

seems like there already is training material online?
found at https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Category:Laser#Classes
easily found through wiki/tools and its the second item under lasers.

Laser Basics Class Materials

the only thing i see missing rom the materials is instructions on logging into the pc. do we have to be in the correct AD group? etc

The information on the wiki is great! I was just going to chat with the committee about finishing the course on Moodle so that there is a good self-service channel for some of the basics. This will be important as we may potentially have larger numbers of new members coming in with an increase in recruitment. Other committees are doing the same and planning on more.

This would also allow teachers to focus on more “interesting” tools such as zing or fusion, or courses on how to do specific things on the lasers (engraving, boxes, rotary, etc.)

2 Likes

The last election was at the end of January, so I don’t think it’s time yet.

Yes, one of my goals is to have the online class ready and available as an option for those who feel confident enough to do that and still offer in-person classes for those who want some hands on practice with the class.

1 Like

I think BoD wants to get them back on track, which is semiannually, half-yearly, every six months, or in time for May & November BoD meetings (or as directed by the BoD):

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Rules_and_Policies#Chair_Elections

Yeah, that’s on me. I didn’t get the laser election scheduled in the normal month, so the election schedule is offset quite a bit.

Ok that makes sense. Can I add it to the agenda for the meeting in 6 days or does it need to be announced earlier?

Elections are supposed to happen in April-May and then October-November. The April-May is so the new board can affirm the election/ chairs. A new board may not see eye to eye on committee chairs of the old board. Mainly it is a formality.

I had to be voted chair in Just before the cycle only to have to be voted in again the following month or so.

There has to be proper notifications to have the election. 10 or 14 days. I do not recall which.

Machine Shops is always on the calendar months in advance, as long as I have been chair anyway. Speaking of I need to go add more to the calendar myself.

I’m also trying to do a bit more with our committee chairs - I’d like to get us together once or twice per term so we can chat about what we’re doing around the space. Maybe even have some fun confirmation of power ceremonies or even onboarding for newer chairs so they know what’s up. Having a consistent timing for chair elections makes that a bit easier.

3 Likes

I won’t be able to make this meeting, I have another meeting exactly at the same time. But I’m back at the space now, vaccinated and everything so if you need anything from me lmk. I should be able to make the June meeting.

I wont be able to make it tonight, my apologies.
Let me know if I can help with any audio transcriptions or synthesis.
Very interested in the USB cameras being added in lightburn