Laser Committee Meeting 10/18 8pm

Hey folks, don’t forget! Laser committee meeting tomorrow (Wednesday) night at 8pm in the laser area. Things we’ll cover…

Status of area improvements – removal of lasersaur, new Thunder Nova 35s, plan for arranging new desks, laser exhaust system, back wall and sign design idea

Vote for new committee chair – need to vote on chair for next six months, anyone interested please attend and post here so people can know who’s running. I’d like to stay on through the area improvements since we’re in transition right now, but life is prohibiting me from committing for six more months.

See yall then!

@Team_Laser

5 Likes

Another topic of discussion I forgot… Rotary attachment repair

1 Like

I’m very interested in the agenda but can’t make the meeting tonight. Will there be notes posted afterward somewhere?

2 Likes

I’ll post notes here afterwards

3 Likes

Add:

• Can we buy a 2nd rotary attachment since we’ll have more than one Thunder?
  • What steps are being taken to solve the Zing’s problem cutting through material? Or would we consider the purchase of a HR laser head for the Thunder?

How about 2 more and try to keep them on the smaller machines? Using one on the big machine is a waste of space for it

4 Likes

Hey guys. Here’s a summary of all the things covered in the committee meeting tonight. Thank you to David, @pinewoodnut, Stephenie @heyheymama, Brandon @Brandon_Green, Stan @StanSimmons, and David Shannon (sorry couldn’t find talk handle) for attending and discussing ideas and direction for the committee! If yall see that I missed anything please post to add on.

Chair Election – Merissa shared some thoughts on what being the committee chair means, offered to continue with the caveat that already knows cannot serve the full six months. Merissa ran as the only candidate. Five votes in favor, none opposed. Merissa remains as chair.

New Lasers – Two new Thunder Nova 35 lasers are on their way to us from China. I’ve asked for a tracking number and they gave me a delivery date of about November 10th. I’ll keep pestering them to get a tracking number so hopefully we can see where the boat is as it continues on it’s way.

New Layout – New lasers will go where the lasersaur currently resides. The scrap shelf was recently removed to make room for the changes. Merissa covered the proposed layout… new lasers will go side by side in the footprint of the saur, standing height desks on back wall.

New Computers – With new lasers comes new computers to run them. We’ll be getting two new computers similar to the current thunder computer and working with Infrastructure to get them set up with the necessary software.

New Desk – The new laser computer workstations will be located on a standing height desk on the back (now red) wall. The desktop was mounted tonight and new stools were added for the workstation. Final coat of polyurethane is currently drying.

Lasersaur – The intent is to donate the lasersaur to the FCW makerspace in North Carolina that burned down and is rebuilding. The board approved this action as long as the space proves they are also a 501c3 org and they have a lease for a new space. Both of these conditions are soon to be met. The saur will soon be put into offsite storage until it is sent to its new home. If for any reason this donation doesn’t work out, we’ll look to sell it.

Rotary Attachment – parts to repair the current rotary are on their way. Hope they will do the trick so it’s available for use again soon. Thanks to John and Darren for taking on the diagnosis and repairs!

Other wishlist purchases – we’ll consider buying these once all the purchases for the new laser accessories (computers, blowers, tubing, cords, etc) are done and we know exactly what our committee balance is – fine focus lens for one of the new Thunders, lockable storage cabinet, second rotary attachment, new shop vac, new desk for existing thunder computer to match Zing desk

Maintenance and Training – this is an area that really needs improvement. I will be scheduling a maintenance day where members can learn to maintain the lasers, as well as set a routine schedule for maintenance events. We’ll have a work day prior to the arrival of the new lasers, and them I’m sure more work days once they’re here.

Now I’m really feeling like I’m forgetting something we covered, but it’s late and my brain is shutting down. Thanks for sticking with me if you read this far! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Wonderful summary. Every item sounds fantastic!

1 Like

Great Job @merissa. I got caught up in family stuff so could not get to the meeting.

Even with the purchase of the new Thunders your committee budget has $8,889.15. I want to note however for some reason several of the last PayPal purchases have shown double transactions. I’ve had to void one Thunder purchase and I just found another duplicate of the spare tube purchase.

After I’m done with finance this Fall, I would be interested in chairing the Laser Committee. I guess I will start shadowing you a few months before you move onto other things.

6 Likes

If the donation doesn’t work out, should we instead keep it for the possible use at a satellite location?

1 Like

Great summary…really appreciate the comprehensive and timely info…Great model/example for other committees to follow! :sheep: :sheep: :sheep:

Love the standing desk!

2 Likes

Just a note:
They are also responsible to either pick it up or pay for shipping. I hope they get back on their feet and that this donation helps.

1 Like

Will there be a new area for scrap? I occasionally bring in scrap plexiglass from work that seems to be in demand (considering it always seems to disappear within 24 hours of my dropping off a fresh load…) and would want a designated place to put it.

3 Likes

Free shelf?
Would it fit?

It will be under the table when that gets arranged. Right now it’s holding some of our other stuff

FYI, Leather-working could use some scrap plexi for making templates. Not forever, but a few pieces to get some templates in the cabinet.

2 Likes

As much as I hate volunteering and talking to real humans in real life, I would potentially like to be involved in the setup / maintenance training for the new Thunders - depending on timing. I can’t believe I’m saying that. Drill Sergeant said never volunteer for anything and here I am…

2 Likes

Keep us posted on the work day I would love to help.

2 Likes