Laser Committee Meeting 1/18/20

The next laser committee meeting is 1/18/20 and it’s gonna be a good one.

On the agenda:
-Making Zing portable (we will vote to approve a HEPA filter for exhaust)
-Discuss a new laser
-Getting a floating/network license for lightburn
-Moving Laser 101 to an online class

In addition to the usual fun of cleaning the lasers, we plan on taking the cutting grids to a car wash to see if we can’t clean them up any better there.

@Team_Finance could someone send me a committee balance estimate before the meeting? Would be good to have the most recent number.

Edit: 2-6pm!

2 Likes

Where in the building is there a dedicated 15A, 230V outlet where the Zing could be run in a “portable” mode?

I think a bigger question is why to run it portable.

I’ll double check this, but the zing is a 120v machine.

As for why, I’ll leave that to the rest of the committee. There was enough interest at the meetings, and in later discussions, that we decided to move forward with it.

Edit: It’s got a universal supply, so it’s good for either 120v or 240v. They probably requested 240v to keep it consistent with our other lasers.

Odd. The laser committee asked Expansion for 240V 12A single phase to power the Zing.

But if it really only needs 120V, then let me rephrase my question. Same issue, but different details. Where in the building is there a dedicated 15A 120V circuit to run it in the portable mode?

We’re not sure what vacuum to use, so I can’t say what the vacuum will take, but Epilog specs a 900W UPS to run the Zing with a 40W tube. We have a 30W tube so I expect less than 7.5A from the laser.

Edit: to clarify, we have 3 options for vacuums we’ll be selecting what to go with at or before the meeting

1 Like

Classes in other parts of DMS, local outreach (e.g., demos at local schools, and civic events), offsite promotional events (e.g., arts and craft vendor booths).

2 Likes

Balance on the P&L statement is $71,806.18.

Regarding purpose: The Zing is tucked into a corner where it is difficult to teach. Students effectively block access to Blitzen at the same time.

5 Likes

From a long while back…

Aug '15

Grab a bag of quarters and take to a car wash. Spray it down w/degreaser and let soak. Rinse and repeat as needed. Using some kind of spray solvent (carb cleaner such Berryman B12 Chemtool) will speed up the process. I cleaned the screen shortly after we moved using the car wash at corner of Josey and Trinity Mills. Compressed might blow out loose stuff, won’t phase the rest.

3 Likes

What time do the festivities start? I would love to join in and learn more about the machines.

1 Like

The meeting will start at 2 in purple, around 3 or 3:30 we’ll move out to the shop for maintenance day

1 Like

Reminder that the laser meeting is this Saturday!

2 Likes

Laser minutes are up!

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Laser_Committee_Meeting_Minutes_01182019

Many thanks to everyone who came out and helped clean!

3 Likes

Approve up to $27,195.00 for the purchase of an Epilog Fusion Pro 32

Proposed: Michael
Second: Mary
-8 in favor
-none opposed

That’s a big thing. Didn’t know it was on the agenda, so I’m not sure yet how to feel about this. I do love our Zing.

Does it include a rotary attachment?

Yes that comes with a rotary, and a few other things I am sure we will share details soon.
We have talked in previous meetings many times about options and ideas. This is a wise direction to head

It will be a great addition to our wonderful lasers it sounds to be user friendly and much less maintenance inteessive like the zing.
Just more workable space area.

I look forward to the exciting things happening at the makerspace and laser area.
Thankful for a committe and community wanting to grow where we are at for now excited to see expansion moving along wish things would go faster but we are growing where we are for now

Thank you
@michaelb
for leading the way and keeping laser a great committe to be a part of.

4 Likes

One of you all needs to put this on the next board agenda. It requires their approval.

1 Like

Yes we understand that and a well worded agenda item is in the works.

1 Like

I’ve placed two items on the next BoD Agenda:

I invite corrections from the committee on these item(s) if necessary.

Looks like I typo-d the minutes, it should clarify that’s a 1.5kVA line interactive UPS for zing. Not that there should be much confusion on that anyways.

I’ve reached out to both major vendors (Quatro and Engraving Concepts) for updated quotes that I’ll add to the minutes.

Should be fairly straightforward to approve, as Laser is self-funded, and has the funds accumulated to advance DMS’ Laser expansion goals.