Laser Classes...or "Collect them all!"

Start with Laser Basics:

• Tommy Thomas @tomthm is teaching another of his Sunday sessions on Feb 25 at 1:30pm.
  • John Gorman @talkers has 3 offerings at a variety of times - including a DayMaker noon class! 8:30pm Friday 02/23…or…noon Monday 02/26…or…8pm Monday 02/26.

Then move on to John’s next-step classes:

• Inkscape Hands On: Vector Paths, 1pm, Saturday 02/24. Takes the intimidation out of building design files. I can vouch for this class - the instruction I received here really kicked my projects up several notches.
  • Zing projects! Personalized pens & pencils, name tags, dual layer plastics, 6:30pm, Tuesday 02/27. Want fine detail in your laser work? Our Zing delivers. But wait, there’s more…Get an Inkscape refresher, learn how to balance odd-shaped items with a jig, and work with acrylics!
  • Etching Tumblers and Glassware with the Rotary Engraver, noon, Wednesday 02/28. Fun, fun, fun!
  • Living Hinges, 6:30pm, Wednesday 02/28. Make wood bend to your will!
  • Making Boxes! Great for Gifts, noon, Thursday 03/01. The possibilities are endless!

Or take a great Cross-Over Class:

• Printmaking Techniques - Laser Engraved Wood Plate, 7pm, Thursday 03/29 with @Hardsuit and Astrud from Creative Arts’ Printmaking SIG. EDIT: Do not need Laser Basics for this cross-over class. Paul engraves your block in advance and gives a demonstration on laser block making. We hope this becomes incentive for you to take Laser Basics and make your own.
8 Likes

I gotta say, Laser has been killing it, both in terms of keeping the lasers running well, and offering a variety of classes. Kudos to you all!

4 Likes

Agreed. Great job! :+1:t2:

1 Like

Team Laser will graciously accept the compliment of keeping the lasers running well. We meet on First Sunday (barring holidays and acts of God) to clean mirrors, vacuum housings, level beds, clear filters, check the chillers, adjust whatdacallits, work magic on our computers, wipe off grime, and clear scrap. And eat tacos. And make decisions.

I never tire of drawing attention to our people…Last month’s team was @JoshW, @gbeauw, @somecallmery, @bpamplin, @StanSimmons, @merissa, @motopilot, @bloom, @Kati. Stalwarts, one and all. Next Maintenance Day is March 4, 11a. The lasers never sleep so we welcome members to help us maintain these beasts. (whispers “tacos”)

But we cannot take any credit for our instructors. They spring forth unbidden with these classes. (Frankly, I fear we may take them for granted.) In addition to Tommy and John, David Summers @pinewoodnut used the idea of snowflakes to teach a stealth Inkscape class on mirroring under the guise of Holiday Ornaments. And Ryan Caldwell @somecallmery has offered to teach two classes before he decamps to Florida - bids are in for Gears, Chains, or Rubber Stamps!

5 Likes

Is the 8:30pm class tonight still on? I’ve cut plenty of times back at the Ladybird location and before, but I haven’t used the newer lasers. Was wondering if our certifications expire or not. I know there is a list of certified users visible only at the space - so I don’t know if I’m still certified or not. But I’m happy to take a refresher.

@pondersome Your account is currently NOT in the Active Directory Laser Basics completions group.
If you took the class that long ago, it is likely the group didn’t even exist at that time.
Probably a good idea to retake it to get familiar with the new machines.

Sorry for the double post, should have mentioned John @talkers. I’m planning on coming to the 8.30 class tonight. Hope it’s on. Yup, that was a long time ago. -Karim Virani

Yes, the class is still on.

Fyi - If a class is cancelled, students receive a text message and email if they opted to receive notifications. The class is also removed from the active calendar.