Laser Area Improvements!

So you may have noticed, but the Laser area is undergoing some changes! We’ve got new lasers on the way… they will be here in a few weeks (don’t have an exact eta to share yet), so to make room for them the shelf was removed. And the back wall was a mess, so we painted it red!

I’d like to add a sign to the back wall… something laser cut and awesome looking! Maybe acrylic with LEDs, maybe something else. Anyone want to help come up with ideas and make the sign?

The lasersaur will stay available for use as long as possible till the new lasers are here. And I’ll post updates as things happen to keep everyone informed and seek help on work days.

Thanks to all for bearing with us through the process!

6 Likes

Is the lasersaur working or just a space holder.

The lasersaur will stay available for use as long as possible till the new lasers are here.

1 Like

I would be glad to help with the LED portion of the sign. We can use edge lighting or frosted backlighting. Solid colors or color changing.

5 Likes

Poster for wall.

9 Likes

That’d be great Ken! This kind of stuff is outside my comfort zone, so could really use the help.

Something like one of these?

1 Like

We will need to get cast acrylic for that to work out. But we could figure out something

3 Likes

Whatever the design, please let it be suitable for t-shirt.

2 Likes

I think we should pinch the nerdist logoNerdist_Industries_logo

it’s based on the warning anyway

6 Likes

Portal™ Laser Turret:

4 Likes

Maybe a project for when the vacuum former arrives?! :grinning: Anyone who walks away from the laser while its running gets lasered!

2 Likes

I would also love to help with LEDs. I’ve have experience with Neopixel’s (individually addressable RGB leds). Driving the led’s with an arduino. I can help/recommend power supply and wiring etc.

As an additional idea, it would be cool if we had a way to have a digital sign-up/waiting list. Something with an rfid reader to put your name in queue. Could even be interesting if it could notify the user via sms or email etc. when the order changes… I realize there are quite a few elements that would be needed for such an integration but I think it would be possible and could be really helpful.

Clearly it would have to rely on the members to clear their name once they either start their session or when they’re finished (so the next user in queue can rise to the top). It would also require a way for any member to be able to clear the name of others in the queue for all the variety of reasons we do that today manually with the dry erase board.

I’ve even envisioned having a monitor/tv on the wall that could display the queue so that you could see at-a-glance from across the space…

What do others think of the idea?

1 Like

What size sign are we thinking about?
2ft x 1ft (60cm x 30cm)
3ft x 2ft (90cm x 60cm)
Bigger???

That is almost an exact description of a project in the pipeline to be implemented.

Love the idea!

Regarding the queue, I recommend MS discourages people from doing major editing or creating their files on the laser cutter stations. Part of the the long lines for the laser cutter is due to people tweaking and creating files. Everyone should be expected to come with their files ready to be sent to the laser cutter.
Yes, they’ll be minor tweaks expected such as resizing but that should be it.

I can’t keep track of the times I seen people messing with their files while the machine is just seating idle.

The queue idea is great but it should be limited to 2-3 people max. There is no point of allow people to sign up when most of the time, they just leave leaving people wondering who is next!

Here is an idea, make the queue accessible online and integrate it with a type of live feed page.
this way you know who is using the machine at any given time and also you can ask whoever is using the machine how long they’ll be using it.

1 Like

I love the sign idea!

This is a great opportunity to showcase what is possible with the laser machines… in talking about materials, shapes etc… yes, programmable LED’s are awsome!

As a matter of fact, we should consider relocating the computers and desk to this wall. In this feature wall we can integrate the monitors with the sign/mural. That’s just a though with hopes of making better use of the laser equipment layout.

1 Like

I beg to differ. We do not want people jumping into the queue from home.

I beg to differ. Each computer should be immediately adjacent to the laser it controls. Otherwise, there will be much unnecessary running between the computer and the laser.

1 Like

Exactly! I would even go as far as putting the monitor/keyboard/mouse on an adjustable arm so you can stand near the laser. That would probably cut down on “designing” at the laser.

4 Likes

We already have a similar issue.
People doing other things at MS and placing their names in the list leaving people confused when they arrive and don’t see anyone using the laser machine.

Yes, we don’t want people signing in from home but the other item will be useful.

I don’t get why people get mad when I they’re asked how long they’ll be using the machine.

1 Like