Laser appropriate stencil plastic?

Is it okay to use the Grafix stencil plastics in the lasers? Looks like that and their Edge products are mylar based but they don’t mention laser specifically.

If they aren’t OK can someone reccomend a laserable plastic in the 7 mil range? I need my stencils sturdy but still flexible

2 Likes

Mylar is safe on the laser. I’ll look for a material safety data sheet on the Grafix.

FYI - Johnson’s does sell a stencil material specifically for lasers

4 Likes

Grafix recommends Dura-Lar or Drafting Film if using a laser or heating tool to cut stencils. Cut these films one sheet at a time or they will melt together.

Clear-Lay works best if using a craft knife or blade to cut, but DO NOT cut this film with a laser or heating tool.

Acetate can be used for stencil making, but it tears easily so may only last for one use.

https://www.grafixarts.com/faqs/which-grafix-film-is-best-for-stencil-making/

2 Likes

I have tried their drafting film. It’s OK but I don’t like the finish on it for what we use them for. I want to keep the stencil matte and semi opaque.

What material do you like for stencils and is there a local supplier?

Thanks in advance.

@MrsMoose

Or anyone that has made laser etched stencils

In my one minute of research, I saw some mylar stencil material and also some PET/PETG stencil material available on Amazon. That raised the question about PETG. My next one minute of research suggests that while PET/PETG is safe to cut, it’s very dirty for the lasers. Obviously I didn’t pursue it very deeply. It isn’t listed in the Go/No-Go material list. What’s the committee position on this?

Polyethylene Terephthalate Glycol PETG (C10H8O4)n

So, can you laser cut PETG? Yes, you can laser cut PETG, but it is a dirty material to process, giving off a significant volume of white particulates. Your laser machine will need regular cleaning and fume extraction filters will soon clog up unless you have a sacrificial pre-filter to take the strain.

1 Like