Langmuir MR1 CNC Mill - thoughts?

I came across this CNC mill and curious what the experienced CNC’ers thoughts are?

I’m looking for a CNC mill for hobby/prototyping ideas in 6061, 7XXX aluminum, 1045, 4130 materials (60-ksi to 125-ksi Y. Strength).

IMO a Taig is too under-powered & smallish for my dreams. A Syil X7 would be a dream to own, but $$ and a bit large for the area I have planned for a machine.

https://www.langmuirsystems.com/mr1/build#MR1-BASE

1 Like

Should have included one other critical measurement: The cutter diameter. The machine’s movement assumes the cutter is the EXACT diameter input. For outside features, the cutter is larger (features will be smaller) or smaller (features will be larger), for inside features (holes, slots, pockets) just opposite.

A new cutter is probably within .0001"-.0002" of stated diameter. Can be more or less based on quality of cutter.

For most work this is a pretty accurate. I like the test block: circle, triangle, square.

The big downside with the MR-1 class of CNC routers is the lack of tool changer. Having a tool changer is a huge advantage and frees the user to do other things while the mill is working.

Within the robotics community the OMIO X8 cnc router is extremely popular and well regarded. It is also really affordable at ~$3,500 fully kitted out.

I’m planning on building a PrintNC, mostly because it’s perfect for my goals and ability/commitment level. It’s free (free as in freedom, not Cesar bucks), and it’s got a competent community creating resources. I’ve used Chinese rails and electronics, and rapid prototyped components, for my hot wire (pictured) and I really believe that those components are outliers, or disruptive products or whatever, in terms of the performance that this allows you to achieve. For my use case CAM is so powerful, it’d be a no-brainer in any event, so I’m really excited.

Never really considered tool changes, I’m still a milling rookie. to my mind there’s no reason to switch out endmills when I can just design my parts to use 1/4" bolts, 1/4" radiuses, and match my vinyl trenchcoat lined with identical 1/4" endmills.

1 Like