Landscaping ideas

Fence off the front yard? Although, putting a fence in up front is likely also restricted. My ex-house was on a corner, and I would have had to have a substantial short section so folks could see around that corner.

The annoyance does not yet outweigh the cost of a new fence. Yet. I’m also a corner lot, so I suspect that there would be some restrictions.

1 Like

I live on a corner and there are “Sight Line” restrictions for road visibility of the intersection. In Arlington within the sight-line fence can’t be higher than 2 feet by code. Many have 4’ fences but they chain link so you can see and code enforcement seems to be okay with that.

Front yard fences, other than on corners, seems okay. One person a street over actually has an 8’ wall that creates a court yard.

My corner is a school bus stop so I have a well walked on lawn.

1 Like

My wife has tried to put plenty of native plants in the yard. If they can survive in the wild they should be able to survive here, with the exception of yuccas. We’re downhill and all our neighbors use sprinklers which makes our yard too wet for yuccas to survive on the east side of our front walk.

1 Like

My front yard is all native…I dont water it, rarely mow it. Lol its All Natural

1 Like

My yard used to be St Augustine and Bermuda. Now it is mostly weeds, uh, native ground cover. Although I am sometimes surprised at what lives. Part of the trick is redefining what you mean by “weed”
It is only a weed if it is unwanted. Maybe some could be considered volunteer natives. Some are also useful, edible, or medicinal. Classic example is dandelion, leaves edible in salads, root roasted for coffee substitute, supplies potassium, mild diuretic, good for liver, kidney, colon. Try looking up some of your weeds and see if you might want to keep them…

I have a irises that bloom on the north side of our fence (they are blooming now). They only bloom once a year … so not terribly exciting, but I’ve spent essentially ZERO effort in keeping them alive. They seem to do OK.

I, also, have Daylilies on the north side of the fence. They normally bloom AFTER my irises. The ones behind the fence have NEVER bloomed. They’ve, also, never died, either. So they’re hardy, too, but I wouldn’t recommend placing them there.

Both the irises and daylilies are rhizomes, and this likely contributes to their north-side of the fence hardiness.

Did she say “goat?” She meant “horned dog.” :smiley:

3 Likes