LabVIEW Class - Instructor Needs Student Info

I wanted to go with a fresh thread here to unify our direction in terms of LabVIEW class Thurs Feb 9 @ 7 PM.

Guys, this is not a replacement for the NI Core 1 and Core 2 classes, and although I have only scheduled on a single date so far, I expect more classes to come. But this date, so far, has been the best that I could come up with for schedule availability. If this date/time does not work with your schedule, please PM me and I’ll take a look at how things are shaping up, and see what options are out there.

However, this will be the first meeting of an entry level LabVIEW programming workshop tailored for makers, where attendees will program, even if they have never programmed in LabVIEW ever before. Yes, I will offer information about background/history/applications of LabVIEW, but the principal hurdle that I want to get us over at DMS is the strangeness of LabVIEW programming paradigm. The best way for us to overcome this is to program in LabVIEW. Once we have got the basic notions of how to form loops, structure code, and move data around, then we can get a bit more fancy and look at some DMS applications which I believe are aplenty.

In an effort to prevent our first class from being about the installation of NI software products, I am making an effort to get this out of the way so we can focus on LabVIEW. I believe that DMS makers are capable of getting software installed on their systems, but this install can be a headache due to its size. So please, I am asking you to work with me here and let’s keep this thread focused on this main point:

LabVIEW and Device Drivers installation- This will take some effort on your part ahead of class to have these installed on a laptop so we are ready for you to begin programming alongside me during class. And I need to know who has resources and is able to have this done before that date. I have agreed to do this course provided that we had three DMSers ready to tackle learning to program in this language. So for a registration to carry weight, I need to see that you have been able to install these two items, or, perhaps you need help getting this done. Either way, the way to communicate your readiness to me would be to go into your PC’s control panel/programs and features/national instruments software, and PM me window captures showing LabVIEW and NI-VISA installed. Please send this information via PM just as soon as possible.

Please plan ahead and get this done well in advance of class as I expect we may have issues here. In fact, we may find that its best to do a separate meet to get everybody set up with the software running on a system that they can use.

But the best way that I am aware of to find out if we have 3+ who can get this installed and ready to roll is to put it out there like that. Provided I have these three commits with LabVEIW installed, then the Feb 9 class will go forward as planned. Now there has been considerable interest in this class, and I am optimistic, but I need this input from you guys to know that we are on track for the class.

If you have questions about the installs, please PM me. Let’s avoid confusing things in this thread with individualized concerns about the class. Please PM me your concerns, and I will do the best that I can to address them. I suspect additional items will come up, and I will post them here on this thread, and I am asking for your cooperation so I can make this happen for the makers of DMS.

This will be a fun, interesting, and productive class that you will be able to walk away from with something very wonderful, ability to program in LabVIEW. I am looking forward to hearing from interested parties via PM.

This video I made should give you an idea just how quickly we can be up and programming in LabVIEW. If you have LabVIEW installed, you can follow along, write your first program. Otherwise, I am hoping to start our class from right here at this point… the basics of writing code in LabVIEW, and get you the exposure that helps you to feel empowered by a new programming capability that you have…