LabVIEW Class III: Teach VirtualBench to Ride Unicycle?

OK, I know, solving problems on a worksheet is inspiring like a day of trash duty.

So how about this one: I need a self balancing, robotic one wheeled platform that can ambulate around over most surfaces, and be controlled by smart phone when called upon. Relax, folks. The wheel will have a low hung platform extending around it on all sides such that any deviation in any direction more than a few degrees will cause the thing to ‘perch’ at that angle resting upon the tire and that edge of platform. The VB will be close to ground and fixed to device and for purposes of this exercise is just a LabVIEW targeted control system we can use without having to make anything.

So I plan on a project like this anyhow, and so I will do this to guage further interest in the LabVIEW class: If we have a 3+ turnout in 2 weeks (class is already on schedule), I will provide the wheel setup, platform, 1D linear actuator, batteries and appropriate analog motor control circuitry. So all we have to do in the class is generate the appropriate digital signals to control the thing using the VirtualBench.

The catch is that you guys will write the LabVIEW code defining that state machine that will run inside the VB. So it will be a group effort of the whole class, and I will be there to drop the hints and pointers to keep you guys pointed the right direction.

I think it will be fun and interesting, and the best part is that we would be doing some actual development. So sign up if this sounds interesting, and feel free to chime in here if you