Knocking out a wall: engineer recommendation?

My wife and I just bought a house in Farmers Branch, and we’re looking to knock out a small wall :slight_smile: A contractor buddy looked at it and doesn’t think its load bearing but recommended getting a structural engineer to take a look. Anyone have someone they’ve used or anyone here who could take a look?

Single story home or?

It is pretty easy to determine which walls are load bearing in most traditional homes.
Some things to take into consideration when removing a wall are things that can add time to your project but are often not found until you remove the that which covers the studs i.e. gyp board(sheet rock etc):
electrical wires
gas lines
water pipes
waste / vent pipes
hvac return ducts (but in Texas they rarely use ducts within walls, instead it is just an open cavity)

1 Like

Single story, and there are a few light switches and the thermostat that will have to be moved to another wall. A contractor buddy took a look and is pretty sure it’s not load bearing as the living room is the same span with the same truss structure above it as over the wall to remove. Also, trying to find out what flooring they used to match the wood laminate (float floor, not glued down). Here’s a rough layout of the room: