Knife making class

Would love to teach him some basics and have him learn more advanced teachings if he wants more knowledge on blade making!

Howdy all! I’m working on getting a class set up for knife making in the next coming weeks. This will be a multi part class with the first class diving into the education you’ll need to know before starting and during the knife forging. While some of the further classes will be focused on the forging, grinding, heat treatment and finish work.

My availability is mostly open during every Saturday and possibly Sunday I will aim to get a few post this month falling between the hours 12-3. This will vary as we get everything set up. If you’re interested I will post the class this week for the following weeks to come.

If you have a questions on the subject feel free to ask. I will also be there this weekend in the blacksmith room.

4 Likes

For planning purposes, do you know how many classes are anticipated for the full series; and what will happen if someone ends up not being able to make one of them? I’m excited about this, but I’m afraid that life will get in the way on one of the future classes, and I would hate to screw up the flow for the other people in the class.

This will the first for us both. If someone or you has an issue with something like such in the future we will act accordingly and resolve that. I’m expecting I will teach lot of these classes in the future.

1 Like

No problem… sounds good. (I anticipate that the only issue for me would be around the upcoming holidays, but I’m guessing you probably won’t be scheduling classes on those weekends anyway.) Looking forward to the opportunity to create what I’m sure will be, for me, an embarrassingly sub-par but fun-to-make knife project.

Since this thread is still here… I took some pictures of the kilns blacksmithing has acquired yet never used (blacksmiths nearly always heat treat using a forge) 4 by my count

Several of them are dysfunctional I think. The big one is the BS shop has been used recently, but no class has been developed for it yet either.

The expensive part of kilns is the firebrick/kaowool. The electronics are trivial…they are glorified toasters. Those broken ones are perfect sized for knives. They should be easy for electronics to fix.

I can’t see anyone heat treating something in blacksmithing that is as big as that big kiln. (Machine shop is a different story)

1 Like

For those that joined the first knife making class there is more classes scheduled this month. If anyone who hasn’t had a class but still wants to join there will be that opportunity for y’all!

Nick (or anyone else that might know),

After some work on yesterday, I think I’m at the heat treat stage of my knife build. I’m sure we can do the normalization easily enough with the forges and I could do the final tempering at home, but is there a standardized procedure and/or time for oil quenching outside?