Knife made of tool grade steel

A buffing wheel has a soft surface, so when used with polishing rouge will polish the metal. It won’t sharpen the edge, however, because the deflection of the felt won’t allow a fine edge to develop.

You need stiff leather or wood (or a sharpening stone) to develop the razorsharp edge.

A buffer wheel can be perfect for polishing the sides of the knife blade to a mirror polish, especially if multiple wheels are progressively used with finer and finer grades of polishing compound.

3 Likes

We could probably use one of these. It would sure make it easier to sharpen carving and lathe tools.

So i am hearing a wheel made out of hard wood like hickory should be made via the lathe for perfectly centered wheel. Is this correct?

I was more interested in the slow speed wet grinder. Stropping is easy enough to do by hand. It is grinding chips out of fine edges that I am more concerned with.

Actually from most videos I’ve seen on it, they always use a disc made of mdf. I don’t recall there being a particular reason but I have not seen anything other than mdf used.