Kitties! Almost ready for new homes

Hey everyone, I had the good fortune to happen upon three stray kittens a few weeks ago. I estimated their age at 5 weeks at the time, so now they are approaching 8 weeks old. I am soon planning to take them to the vet to get the ol snip and jab, then after their recovery they’ll be ready for new homes. All are using the litter box well. They currently reside in a cat cage on my patio as my apartment is far from kitten-proofed. Sexes are presumed based on initial inspection, but will be confirmed by the vets soon.

Chere is very fluffy. She is a messy eater and very eager about anything related to food. She eats wet food from a can held in your hand or from a spoon happily, and is also happy to eat kibble. Some petting is tolerated so far, especially if food is offered as a distraction.

Noble is the bravest of the kittens. He is eager for food, willing to eat when on my lap. He tolerates moderate petting, handling, and even purrs occasionally if he is in a good mood. Chere and Noble both have extra toes on their front feet.

Tiger is more nervous, and does not currently appreciate petting. He eats from a spoon but is wary to eat directly from a can held in hand. He will definitely take a patient home where he is given space to come out of his shell. However, he does not spend his time cowering and is just fine as long as you aren’t trying to force interaction on him.

If you guys want a kitty, let me know. They will be ready to go when they are recovered from their surgery in a couple weeks. I am confident they will make excellent barn cats, or good house cats with the right quiet home environment. I wouldn’t recommend them for homes with small children, as they will need patience to be allowed to come out of their shells.

10 Likes

And even though the space looks small in their cage, they are just on the bottom floor, with 3 more stories to climb!

Sweet babies! :sob::sob: I wish I wasn’t at capacity.

1 Like

Kinda buried the lead that they’re POLYDACTYL
Big selling point. Hemingway had a thing for polys, you know…
And to my standard rant: THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for alterations before they go home.
And for helping these little ones out. :+1:

5 Likes

They are all so cute! It is so great of you to rescue them. I just asked my hubby if we could get one but he thinks our rescue dog might eat her based on how she likes to run after rabbits!

These kittens are so precious. I volunteer for a rescue organization and I want to adopt a pet every time I see one. I’ve never had a cat before. Hopefully, there are members who will take them in and give them a good home.

Yeah, I would say these guys are not going to be good in a home with a dog already. They need peace and quiet

I am NOT advocating any home in particular for any (potential) pet, but I will say I have some anecdotal experience with "feral"s. My experience says (in contrast to most of what you’ll read on the topic by people with much more credentialing than I) the best thing for a feral or near-feral is exposure. All of those we attempted to integrate based on the traditional “they need peace and quiet” ended up in my house for 19 years scared of their own shadows and largely unhandleable. Those we crated, alone, and put in the middle of the house, realized nothing was there to kill them, and they could participate instead of hiding. All of those we used this technique on went on to (as far as we know today, many years later) happy, healthy, loving homes where they were part of the household, not just hidey-shadows.
So I differ with “the experts” on this topic. But each house, each pet, all unique, so my anecdote is just something I share for what little it’s worth.

5 Likes

Fair enough, I am definitely working to get them out of their comfort zone with things like only hand feeding them. They have really come around even in the last week or so of it, I can now pet all of them and Noble asks to be picked up and purrs away.

3 Likes

Nap time

3 Likes

Got a lap kitty now

5 Likes

Here’s an update on these guys:

They’re all doing really well, all very playful and friendly now. All are clamoring for me to pet them whenever I come out to see them.

Apparently getting kitties fixed is a bit more of an ordeal these days than I was expecting, but they have appointments for early January. I would like to get them into their homes now, with the understanding that anyone adopting them would take them to said appointment. Unfortunately I will be moving in December (just fleeing my apartment’s ridiculous rent hike) so it would be ideal to not have 3 kitties with me anymore.

Let me know if you’re interested!

2 Likes

Also turns out Tiger is a girl!

1 Like

HA!
I do believe I would quite literally have a better record flipping a coin when it comes to gendering kittens, even with the very, very graphic poster on the wall in my vet’s office that makes it look so, so easy!

2 Likes

I mean, I got 2 of 3 that’s pretty good

2 Likes

Even as a vet gendering kittens can be a challenge.

‘Hmm…is that far south enough to be a male? Or is it a female without much of a slit? Well if it grows balls then we’ll know it’s a male. See you in a few weeks!’

2 Likes

When I was in college, the house cat had gotten pregnant, and most of the kittens were parted out to the roommates. I think we’d decided that they were all female. The male biology major would occasionally hold his kitten up, saying “why weren’t you a boy!!”. And then at about 6 months, we came home to find him covering his sister… Clearly none of us had taken a good second look…

3 Likes

There is a freeze warning for tonight. I hope your baby kitties will be OK.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s pretty cold tonight I will probably bring them inside. They do have an insulated container for a nest so they should be ok out there but I don’t need to take any chances

2 Likes