Kilns and classes: Now and April 2017

First – I just started the glaze kiln. Almost everything fit – there’s just one mug for Cody that didn’t.

This Sunday, April 2nd, I’ve got a class for handbuilding and one for throwing. As of this precise second, there is room in both classes. No guarantees, of course. Another bisque kiln will be run when the items from the handbuilding class are dry enough to fire. And another glaze kiln probably about a week from that.

What does this mean for folks who are already making stuff outside of classes? Well, anything you’ve put on the finished greenware shelf should be fired next week. And, roughly a week after that, any glaze work you’ve done should go into the kiln. I’m trying to push all the class items through about as fast as pottery will can be pushed.

I just put a Glazing and Discussion event on the calendar Saturday 4/8 at 7 pm. Notice this is a lot later than my normal (if you were paying attention to my normal). It should show up in a couple of days, as I consider that the finale to the other classes (no honorarium). It has no limit, so everybody who wants the glazing discussion (hands-on) is welcome to attend.

3 Likes

The glaze kiln has been unloaded. Lots of pretty things!

3 Likes

Just unloaded the bisque kiln that included the pieces from the hand-building class, plus a bunch of other pieces. The glaze shelf isn’t very full. There will be glazing on Saturday AND Sunday at 7pm. I had forgotten that I had set the class for Saturday, and I told last Sunday’s class that glazing would be on Sunday, so I’ll be there both days. I’m planning on running the glaze kiln no later than Tuesday. And probably another bisque kiln on Thursday to fire the pieces from the throwing class.

1 Like

I’m glad you mentioned the date confusion: I thought I misremembered.

FWIW, I don’t see a glazing event on the calendar. I guess it’s too short notice to get it added now.

I’ll be there Sunday evening.

I spazzed. I had it on the calendar for Saturday, but I told the class it would be Sunday. So – I’ll be there tonight at 7. I’ll try to post here if I get tied up at work.

Huh. Didn’t actually post the entry about the glaze kiln going in. And it was sitting here on the bottom of this thread, unposted, even though I’d logged in and read other things.

Anyway, the glaze is unloaded. If I remember right, all the glazed stuff got into the kiln.

And now the bisque kiln is loaded. There were a few pieces that weren’t quite dry enough to load. I’m trying to get that out late Thursday night.

1 Like

Coming up next – glazing. The Thursday session is going to focus on glazing. I’m going to use the fan to help dry the fresh pieces and then I’ll load up a glaze kiln.

3 Likes

The glaze kiln is loaded and running. I will unload it Monday evening when I get in. Block is probably staying open until the end of April, so I’m working until 7pm. Leave me a note someplace (here, the FA area, our FB page) if you need something out before midnight-ish.

2 Likes

Glaze kiln has been unloaded. I’m planning on running a bisque kiln Wednesday night.

1 Like

Bisque kiln is running. I expect to unload it tomorrow (Thursday) night.

And then – the next glaze kiln will be started Tuesday night. (5/2)

Thursday night’s thing will focus on glazing. The kiln won’t be unloaded yet, but the stuff from the last classes is already sitting on the shelf.

2 Likes