Kiln wash - pre fire?

I have some Bullseye kiln wash I have applied to my cookies. I applied it this morning, and I did not plan on using the cookies for at least a week. The directions say to dry it at 500 degrees for 20 minutes before using.

I did not see that noted when the DMS cookies were made. Is it a necessary step for ceramics, or just something to help if I was in a hurry to use them.

Huh. So far as I know, we’ve never “pre-cooked” the kiln washed stuff. Just paint, thoroughly dry, and go. Maybe the 500F is for people in a rush? I mean, 20 min at 500F should make for bone dry for kiln wash. Whereas, we’ve just been using the slower air-dry version. Granted, we don’t have a regular oven available for a 500F heat-up. And, I’d hate to use the kiln for that.

Are you using Bullseye shelf primer (for glass kilns/molds)? Interesting! I’ve not seen someone try it out with ceramics. I’d love to hear how it compares. Could you report back?

Well, now that you bring it up, yes it is shelf primer ( for glass and kiln molds). It has been a couple of years since I used it with a microwave kiln. The term Kiln Wash was the way I referred to it. I was also doing furnace glass where we used kiln shelves, and I guess it was generic term kiln wash. I just had it, and used it for this.

So, at this point I have prepared my small cookies with it, and will be using a couple after my bisque is fired when I glaze the pieces. Just put my greenware to go to bisque last night.

If this is not a known problem or snafu, I will proceed, and let you know how it goes. Although as a compare, I am very new to this, and am not too schooled on cookies well prepared, and what problems are caused by poor/improper prep.

Hi, this is a great question, was curious too,
sent a question to Bullseye, here is their response
(just noting that we go to above 2000 degrees in our final firing for ceramics):

This is Paul at Kiln Frog.

Typically, kiln wash for ceramic work is different from kiln wash for glass fusing work. I have a kiln that I do both in and I have a set of shelves that I use my glass primer on for my glass projects and another set of shelves that I use a heavy duty ceramic kiln wash on that I use when firing my clay projects.

Shelf primer or kiln wash for ceramic work is much coarser than glass shelf primer and is rated to withstand temperatures up to 2350º F.

Bullseye does not list a temperature range for their shelf primer, but they do recommend scraping and rewashing shelves any time the shelf is subjected to temperature above 1300º F.

Best,

Paul

On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 10:28 AM
Hello bullseye,
I use this kiln wash for glass, my question is can I also use it for my cone 5-6 ceramics stoneware kiln? What cone or temperature is this rated for?
Thank you

Thank you for checking on this.

So with the advice provided, it looks like I will be getting practice in cleaning an re-washing cookies early.

That was my point of concern, I had not heard that Bullseye made primer/wash for non-glass and the temperature ranges are much higher in ceramics. But I certainly don’t keep up with Bullseye so I figured it was worth an ask! It might be okay for a single firing, but it might also stick or flake which would be less than ideal. I will admit, I do like the old Bullseye pink stuff though, great for making sure you have an even coat! :slight_smile: