Kiln procedures

Yes, the small kiln they have been using for glass only. I believe Kris used it a couple of months ago, Or at least I think I saw her preparing a glass project. I would live to do some slumping or draping, Ill talk o Kris and Nathan and get teh low down on this little kiln and get back with you.

I will be happy to assist with your Kiln class curriculum, I have some heath issue I randomly have to deal with and it has been my unlucky week. With that and working 10 hours every day I am not in the best shape this week. I hope to spin some bowls tonight but, I have no idea how long I will be able to stay.

I donā€™t recall do the kilns have vent plugs? I am wondering are the left open or closed? Iā€™m not sure on the newer kilns, but on the older ones it was very important as to when they were closed based on the type of glazes used.

Just off the top of my head things that should be considered

Safety
clothing
washing hands- Body oils can cause glaze to crawl
washing hands between picking up different types of clay bodies. picking up a white clay body then a black clay body can fire in hand prints.
How to handle items
enforcing glazing techniques (glazing the foot)
Low of high fire glazes and clay
different types of firing settings
reference material
setting temp
washing hands before unloading
unloading
storaging

Oh! The glass kiln, yes, thatā€™s definitely on the new layout. Itā€™s the Cress thatā€™s currently being considered.

Iā€™m so happy to see handwashing on your list, Iā€™m religious about washing hands before handling bisque, :). Iā€™ll share the curriculum doc with you to review once we nail down the structure. Iā€™ll be there tonight and we can take a look at the glass kiln, it has a super simple controller.

1 Like