Kids and Courtesy at DMS

We are contacting people who haven’t been supervising their kids. Despite rumors we try to avoid banning people whenever we can, especially as the first reaction.

13 Likes

Please remember that our rules specifically empower members to remind others of the rules:

It is the responsibility of each member to help enforce the Code of Conduct. If someone is violating the Code of Conduct politely explain to them why their behavior is not acceptable.

Note that this is not an authorization to be a jerk about it. Politely remind them of the relevant rule(s) and if possible explain the rationale. For this scenario the rationale behind the rule is simple: DMS is full of dangerous stuff, we don’t want kids getting hurt.

6 Likes

Good to know, I’ll keep that in mind going forward. Thanks!

3 Likes

Also perhaps remind said parents that of the over 2,000 members of The Space, some are known felons and sex offenders. Not someone I would want around my niece or nephew unattended.

2 Likes

They will also be at your church, at the mall, and any other public place you go. How many of those advertise that?

3 Likes

They do not. And, of course the Makerspace should not need to either.

Having said that, it seems to make sense for the same rules to apply to children in most of these situations. Do not be alone with strangers. Do not follow them into hidden places. Do not take candy from people…

The Space isn’t public, it’s private for members. You don’t have to sign a waiver to enter church, a mall or anywhere else you listed. I don’t follow your logic…

A supper club is private for members… When is the last time you had to sign a waiver to be a member of one of those? When is the last time you had to sign a waiver to join a “members only” drinking establishment? It’s a private club for drinking alcohol. No waivers there either - you were expected to obey the law.

The only thing special about DMS is the danger of the tools and their use. That’s what the waiver is about.

2 Likes

The sick demented bastard in me applauds your spirit of adventure. The parent in me wants to hunt you down with a rusty ax. I am torn!

2 Likes

@brenly can we enroll them in the knife making class so that
a) they’ll want to join us as future members and
b) we can add even more dangerous hobbies onto the pile

1 Like

Let them polish their knives on the Big Buffer from Hell™ in the Metal Shop.

Ya’ know – any parent reading this thread should realize just where the danger to their darlings arises…

3 Likes

They are just as easily to be hurt via a machine at dms or strangled by a member for being too loud… of course I would NEVER do such a thing in view of a camera :fbomb:

2 Likes

If it wasn’t for the inherent risk of the organization, i would have a differing opinion. While I understand the rules are what they are due to risks, insurance, and whatnot. I propose that kids learn the things they should and shouldn’t do by actually doing those things.

Why can’t I stick a knife in an electrical outlet? Ouch. Why can’t I climb out on the tippiest toppiest branches in a tree? Ouch. Why can’t I ride a bicycle over a shoddy ramp? Ouch.

Risks to the org notwithstanding, kids learn by doing, negative feedback, and positive feedback.

I say send them over to the TIG machine with a wet glove and a dodgy ground. :smiling_imp:

1 Like