Key fobs and injections

FWIW, Stan once told me that you can use the implant for multiple purposes. For example, if your employer uses RFID cards for building entry, you could have your implant replace both that card and your DMs card/fob.

If you’d like to have a discussion with someone who actually has one implanted, @grahamb is a satisfied implant customer.

1 Like

Depends on what your work uses. My previous job had a system that wasn’t compatible with the ATA5577 so I would’ve needed a different one for work.

1 Like

where do I buy one at?

I believe that dangerousthings.com has been the supplier most oft recommended. See search results:
https://talk.dallasmakerspace.org/search?q=dangerousthings

Who managed our discount arrangement with Dangerous Things?

We used to get discounts and sell them for $25

Dan Quevedo would arrange days to come do implants. He setup a sterile table space etc; he’s a professional body piercer that is also a member. After factoring in the discount, members could get implanted for the cost of just buying the kit otherwise.

There are a few professionals in the area that are listed on the dangerous things website

@Kriskat30 also has been willing to do it (by no means professional, but the job got done and she did one of mine… Rumor is she just likes sticking people with the needles)

2 Likes

A couple of comments regarding RFID chips:

1. I love mine, use it all the time.
  2. You can absolutely use it in other places as long as it is compatible. It’s just a number.
  3. If you need an MRI, no worries. But save yourself some time and email/print out/carrier pigeon post the specs along with your registration forms that ask if you have any implants. Most techs that review those forms won’t be familiar and will throw a red flag.
  4. Seriously consider your use case and choose the correct hand for you. What do you carry and with what hands, where all do you plan to use it?

And

1. If you are especially fastidious and fussy, I have a surgeon friend that is happy to install your chip for more than what your friendly body mod tech will charge but she’ll also hit the area with a lidocaine injection first and is, well, a medical professional. Absolutely not necessary, but if super sterile environments make your heart pitter pat…

(I had mine done by a surgeon - I was already in and out of office for post surgery follow ups and he was excited about it. Good experience, would recommend.)

3 Likes

Where did you buy it at and how much did you pay for the process I’m trying to way my options

All of the ones dms has had came from dangerous things.

Our doors use 125khz chips.

1 Like

Some of the 125kHz tags are writable and some aren’t. It isn’t necessary to get a writable one unless you want to use both your fob and your implant simultaneously.

125kHz is a good identifier for what’s compatible with our readers. A better identifier is EM4100/EM4200 or maybe Wiegand.

The best way to be sure it’s compatible before implanting is to bring it to the space and try to use it at a reader. If it beeps it works.

My surgeon didn’t charge me but we were pretty tight by that time after a long string of medical surgeries. :slight_smile:

I will send you the info for the surgeon friend via PM, I don’t know exactly what she would charge but you can call her office and leave a message to find out. I believe she has an office not terribly far from DMS. Can also do the flex NFCs if anyone is looking at those.

So to be clear, the dangerous things implant only has two types of chips for simple transponders, a low frequency and a high frequency

The low frequency is a T5577 RFID emulator and can be programmed to most LF systems. We have writers that can program the chip to match your fob

1 Like

What’s the pain like getting one of these? Seems a pretty sensitive area.

No joke I’ve had worse bowel movements but ymmv.

The hypodermic needle minimizes the pain. It’s mostly just weird watching it happen depending on how closely you choose to watch.

I have 134.2Khz sterile glass tags here if anyone needs one for pets or Alzheimer family members you can add them to the pet registry. It runs in my family and it can be terrifying when they dont know where they even live

1 Like

I use my implant at both DMS and the Ft Collins Creator Hub makerspace in Colorado.

Note: reprogramming my RFID chip using the DMS writer at the time (March 2018) did NOT work. We ended up using the default ID instead of trying to map it to my existing card.

Note 2: You can buy the chip and verify that it works with our readers (and even register it) BEFORE you take it out of the package and implant it. This may be easier and would certainly prevent an instance of installing (in a much more permanent sense of the word) an incompatible chip.

2 Likes

Wow. Just Wow
To this whole thread.
I feel like I’ve fallen into Logan’s Run
Somehow :)))

I’m enjoying my Wow.
No one wants to know who I am
or find me that bad.

Next Life.