Kevin and Jim Joust a Bit More (Was: Digital Media Monthly Meeting)

@Team_Digital_Media,

since the meet the candidates overlapped, when is the monthly meeting set for?

-Tails

In particular, I’d like to talk about the seriously-unusable state of the room. @Team_Digital_Media what are the goals with actually getting this room into a usable state?

Additionally, there wasn’t a May meeting either when I tried to get information about that and wanted to talk about classes: Digital Media meeting today? (20200526)

3 Likes

I still get pinged as Team Digital Media from when I was vice chair with Daniel. It surprises me that from this picture, visually, we had more room to actually do Digital Media projects in what is now the sewing room, than DM has today. We did not have all of the computers, however someone could actually come in, do a photoshoot or video or stop action. We had area to move around and demonstrate Virtual Reality. We even taught classes in there.

5 Likes

Post another picture.
Should be straightened out now.

You do know that all of that was donated like right before the shut down from supporting people that realized you were doing the exact opposite of helping DM. Some was moved from warehouse during lock down when no one was allowed in there except you and a few others. A lot went on right when the world started shutting down & most people still aren’t comfortable going out and just working in public for leisure and non critical past times.

Everything is also all on wheels.
It’s easier to use the VR than it ever was.

Now if you could seriously fix the unusable state of the jump server by updating it to something newer than windows 2012 that still gets security & service packs and doesn’t pose a huge giant security risk to the space. While youre at it update the design software to this half of the century it would be nice. You know most the membership was stuck at home for a while during COVID and you could have given them good remote resources. Instead you let them down by not keeping up with your own resources. It’s even worse than the software on the design computers when you only had 3 to not take care of.

Strong arming change doesn’t work in a volunteer environment.
But I guess you found bull reasons to screw/push over 3DFab, you ran away the whole multicam group which is a great loss and you have basically a shell of an infrastructure group now minus Freddy. No one helps you in Automotive anymore or metal shop that much. You basically have welding and they’re in it for welding and not you.

Just stop being mean to people and maybe they will follow or listen or like you IDK. But this isnt the way to go. When you go somewhere people go the other direction. While DM has gone from nothing back to one of the most active places in the building precovid

It’d be a good look for you if you didn’t keep poking in retaliation the guy who has been calling you out for conflict of interests and your retaliatory nature.

Power hungry much?

That equipment had been in there long before the shutdown; none of it was moved in during the closure either. I’m pretty certain the only change in that room was when the TV fell off the wall. I did, however remove the infrastructure blade servers that were in the DM sound booth planned area the night before we shut down since it was visible from the front door.

Except it’s multiple tables, chairs, and stacks worth of equipment that doesn’t even make sense being taken in by DM. No member is going to be comfortable moving all of that to make use of the equipment

What the hell are you talking about? 2012 is still well within it’s support life and getting software updates regularly (it’s support doesn’t end until the year 2023) It’s also not a simple task to replace a remote desktop services installation, especially when that installation runs machinery around the space and has complex software requirements.

The Autodesk licenses we had were expired, I do not have effective documentation from prior resources to replace them. You apparently pulled something with Autodesk, but provided no information to infrastructure. Today’s documentation on personal licenses is the first I’ve seen, but licensing for a multi-user machine is quite different. We update things like Fusion as we become aware of compatibility changes, but it doesn’t support auto-updating for a multi-tenant environment like the jump server.

You say to the group working to keep the network, including the jump server, humming, getting us Adobe licenses for home to mitigate that loss of access, helping instructors get setup with Google meet to teach online classes, teaching online classes, on top of all the other requirements to get the space ready to open back up.
Yeah, I left them sitting. We had a members that signed up and others that kept their memberships explicitly because of that system. I’m damn proud we kept pushing to keep it working and introduce more software like the Adobe at home.

You mean how I got the new workstations for design machines, CA, and the computer lab all within the month I was the infrastructure officer before we shut down? How I spent days imaging them and doing the final setup after Freddy tirelessly optimized a fresh windows golden image to facilitate quicker, and cleaner deployments?

Yeah, my magical month of being Infrastructure officer before shutdown was just me sitting on a couch drinking beer whilst all these things materialized out of thin air. (/sarcasm)

You mean all the computers @skyspook (a friendly infra volunteer) and I deployed this past week for them and the few hundred feet of cable we ran for them? How I cleaned and sanitized all their high contact surfaces when they didn’t do it as a committee for reopening (or like ever as far as I could tell)? The hours I spent terminating and testing their network drops? Or the fact that I still don’t have the software in hand to install to finish those workstations despite me telling them this repeatedly. But, apparently their committee not following the procurement process (which as a reminder, I am not a procurement agent) is somehow my responsibility?

What the heck are you on? Metal has dozen+ people show up to each cleanup day and plenty of volunteers (and I personally spend up to 12 hours after meetings teaching them as a thank you). I’ve not left until 2am teaching people how to run the Dynatorch to thank our wonderful volunteers.
As for Automotive, we have all the tools in order and major issues handled long ago; we basically just clean and sort the tools at each meeting with the regular volunteers we have: there isn’t a need for anything more

Says the member that attacked me for enforcing a simple rule you refused to follow, and harrassed me because it’s my responsibility to ensure admin access isn’t abused like you did.

You’ve lied about my volunteer initiatives in Metal, you’ve lied about my work on the workstations and computers all over DMS, you’ve falsely tried to scare people into thinking we’re running insecure software on an externally facing system. You’ve actively been refusing to handle your core committee needs to try and get fancy toys whilst leaving the room constantly in a state that deters members from using it.

Have you no integrity? No shame?

6 Likes

Really clarifying election choices here…

5 Likes

The thing to remember is, both of these individuals are committee chairs as well. If someone believes one or other is unfit for leadership, they should also consider that when committee elections come around.

12 Likes