Just wanted to say thank you!

So talk feels like it has 1000x more drama than normal lately. I just wanted to say that I love the space, and am very grateful for all of the work put in by the volunteers. The year that i’ve been here, I’ve learned a TON from many skilled makers. The projects I see people working on have inspired many new ones of my own. The space has given me the opportunity to learn to use tools I never dreamed I would be able to have access to. My life is greatly enriched because of this place. I am proud to be a member of DMS, and love telling all my friends/family about the treasure this place is. THANK YOU!

49 Likes

I agree 100%. DMS is an incredible place which has greatly enriched my life. Thanks for the comment.

22 Likes

DMS has changed my life for sure. I wouldn’t have moved to Farmers Branch, have the talented friends I have, or be anywhere close to the number of 3D printing and electronics projects I’ve accomplished.

Just think that I was driving from Fort Worth to Carrollton almost every day to come hang out at the space because there’s nothing else like it in DFW, that says something.

BTW drama seems to happen right around the BoD elections (like the logo thing last year), Talk will settle down once we start posting cat videos and passive aggressive meme’s again.

27 Likes

Something that someone else pointed out that I much agree with is that this Talk forum is a great resource where we can hash out ideas for the space, all together as opposed to at a single time when some people are available and others may not be. It keeps the arguments away from the actual space where we all just want to get our projects done or hang out, or whatever. I appreciate the fact that arguments here can and do spill over into the real world, but hashing them out here gives many more people a voice and keeps the figurative bloodshed at a minimum in the actual space.

11 Likes

We wouldn’t be real maker nerds if there wasn’t at least ONE good Internet flame war a year. I love the space and haven’t met anyone there yet that hasn’t been welcoming and honest to God about the community. @Photomancer even noting we came back much less allowing my husband to stare at them for a few minutes like cool fish while wrenching says it all about why we chose DMS over others.

8 Likes

We need this etched into something and displayed at the Space… Maybe we could make a type of stamp so that we could stamp it into some people’s foreheads… (kidding – sort of)

1 Like

Laser cut pin that with a switch so they can indicate if they are Flame On or Off? lol

2 Likes

I gotta say the space has impacted my life in a big way, too. It’s filled in gaps in my education. It helped me find out I’m not made for freelancing (I have a whole new respect for those who can do that). More importantly it has helped me discover myself, and for the first time made excited about my career. I absolutely wouldn’t have the job or the friends I have without it. You guys are awesome!!

Plus we’re the biggest makerspace in the country, and it’s SOOO cool to be a part of that.

8 Likes

I disagree.

We will never be considered real maker nerds until we create Discourse badges for Flame War Fire Starter, Flame War Fire Stoker, and Flame War Firefighter…

Curse you @rshill! I had been resisting the temptation to go to DMS this week. This afternoon, after reading your post, I broke down and spent an hour with Far Righty (who was not good to me :cry:).

4 Likes

We don’t need no stinking badges…

6 Likes