Just Joined - Where's my Silver Refiners at?

Hello, I just joined Dallas Makerspace yesterday. My plan is to pour silver into bullion bars, objects, and rounds. I’d love to meet some like-minded people, as well as gain some mentors when it comes to knowledge of refining gold and silver. I’m a newbie, but very serious about starting a private mint.

Neil

5 Likes

Welcome!!!

@Team_Jewelry

1 Like

As Jewelry limits casting to known alloys of casting grain you might need some of your own crucibles and other items to melt scrap silver into ingots. Please check before starting any projects.

1 Like

Hi Neil, welcome! Pouring clean metal into ingots and bullion is a pretty straight forward process, but takes a bit of practice to get consistent results. Refining gold is another process in itself and not only requires practice but the use of hydrochloric acid and auric chloride or gases chlorine. We are not practicing this process in the jewelry department and not set up to do it. @Team_Science might someday be better equipt for such a task.

2 Likes

Thanks for the welcome. I took the tour tonight and found out about the special interest groups. Are there hydras of the Team Jewelry group?

1 Like

I plan on using my own crucibles. I know those only take so many hits. I have my own kiln too. Max 100 oz. However, I’d like to get trained on using the BIGGER kiln that I saw that says “Training Required.” Do you know whom I would speak with?

They are working on starting the lapidary sig.

1 Like

Thanks. Yeah, after buying 100s of ounces of silver grain I’m trying to find sustainable ways to cut costs. Plus I want to learn how to refine junk silver/gold in a sustainable way.

I had a rock tumbler as a kid!