Just a little bit more

So I came across this in an email a couple days ago. Thought I would share it. Just remember, Just one more time…nothing can ever go wrong there. From what I read, he did 2920 HP then wanted to cross the 3000 HP.

7 Likes

What causes all the black/grey smoke? (I mean before the explosion…)

1 Like

Hmmm…catastrophic block failure…
Surprised there wasn’t more shrapnel out among the spectators.

just a little more boost…
just a little more rpm…
just one more ECU tweak…
just…POOF!

2 Likes

Hard to say. Could have been a few different things. Nitrous, Oil or maybe coolant blow by.

That is certainly where I would have stopped.

2 Likes

I agree with Tim; not sure, but I think he was hitting the NAWS when these happened, but I suspect the “white” smoke is caused by coolant making its way through the combustion chamber.
I think he didn’t have a chance to shut it down, and all the gyrations after this, were trying to prevent the inevitable: 3000+ horsepower of self-fueling rage from pushing a Cummins 6.7 beyond its capabilities.
For sure, it was grenading once the black smoke stopped (because then, it’s running on something other than Diesel fuel; probably engine oil).
Here’s another interesting run on a truck that shouldn’t have been allowed on the ramp:

Why should it not have been allowed up there?
Here it is pulling up:

See the “white” smoke? That’s bad stuff about to go down. Diesel fuel smoke is NOT that color, and nothing else should be getting burned/exhausted at this point. Event officials should have waved this truck around.
Note the glowing rotors trying to slow it down. Good times!
2 Likes

Slow it down to .25 right here

and watch the “driver”. He starts getting reeeal edgy (because, I reckon, he’s no longer in control and has just figured that out as the turbo pitch increases and the RPM starts exceeding the governor).

Watching the different angles was interesting. Seeing the passenger get out as well as the driver. The guy operating the Dyno kinda ducks and covers.

Wonder if he will try to make an insurance claim…

Yeah my engine compartment caught on fire…

Sir what where you doing when this happened?

I was testing my throttle & engine…

2 Likes

Note to self: If I ever dyno a car making more than 1000HP, wear a fire suit.

4 Likes

Wonder if any of these characters were running a data logger.
What not to do on the next build and test.

3 Likes

And bring an extra pair of underwear.

4 Likes

And a tested fast bail out plan… :scream:

1 Like

Maybe an Airbag assisted ejection seat…LOL

2 Likes

Found the diesel run away explanation rather interesting and scary.
Heavy duty firewall / scatter shield between engine bay and cab.
Fire suppression system for the engine bay.
Hit the button and bail.
Zip line down off the dyno platform.

1 Like

Good spot!
Door:
No door:

I’m hoping that dude didn’t get concussed when the thing blew back into his head before jumping forward off the hinges…
(and I do note the fact that this is essentially a “funny truck”; the body is just a skin…still…)

With grenading potential, I’m surprised spectators are allowed that close to the dyno set up.
Kind of like some of those road ralleys where spectators are bunched up on the outside of a acurve with no barrier. What’s the worse thing that could happen?

2 Likes

I wondered about that myself. I was amazed at the spectators rushing in to get closeup footage of something under the engine compartment prior to the blow. It just seemed like an accident waiting to happen. I was surprise the driver and the passenger were able to escape as unscathed as they did. I would have thought a lot of shrapnel would have come into the cab as well.

Was wondering cuz I think there was a not-very-nice “Do you Smoke” meme or challenge or something a while back where pickup truck drivers did this on purpose:

Yep. Rollin’ coal, the uber-redneck version of kicking sand, is accomplished by feeding excessive fuel into a diesel engine, and ensuring the DPF and all associated emissions mitigation equipment is inoperable (preferably blowing around in the bed of said truck).

What you see on the dyno run is rolling coal at its most noble: pursuit of power. Diesel engines are controlled by fuel supply, rather than air, and this is a by-product of trying to maximize that fuel ingestion. Banks Power, on the other hand, has it down to a science, and you see very little “coal”, despite a wide-open exhaust (no emissions mitigating equipment):
For watchin’

for readin’
1 Like

I’m surprised the banks truck has such clean exhaust, that’s really impressive. My understanding was that the only way diesels get to a relatively clean exhaust is to run very lean. Typically for max power out of a turbo motor you need to run very rich, cooling the cylinder with the unburned fuel, and with diesel, producing those clouds of coal black smoke, but clearly those guys have figured out a different recipe to generate power.

Although I guess 150HP/liter isn’t that crazy, it just ends up crazy when you get an engine that big.

1 Like

One wonders if the exploding thing is rare enough that they don’t require fire suits. I mean – if you’re racing, unless it’s at the .25 mile local oval track, a fire suit is required.

1 Like