Jumper cables for rasberry pi

Hello,

Does electronics have the cables we can use to connect small sensors to our raspberry PIs? If so, any clue where this might be?

Thanks,
Michael

PS, I think a class on basic projects might be a great idea to get some folks involved with the electronics space

Assuming you mean something like these -
https://www.adafruit.com/?q=jumper+wires&p=2&sort=BestMatch
https://schmartboard.com/jumper-wires/

Don’t think ELab has these. Might check wire shelves at far end of center island - opposite end from black toolbox.

Those are NOT in the Tanners donation bin because I personally purchased all of the ones he had on the last day he was open lol.

6 Likes

lol. Should I instead solder my sensors to the boards with the included connector then unsolder them when I want to do something else? Do we have something to unsolder connections?

Despite the cables being relatively cheap I don’t want to invest in them unless I absolutely need to, I was hoping to first try some out and see if I even like working with a Pi

I would just hard solder them to the raspberry pi, you can find some wire to use in the elab (just donate what you think it would cost to the donations bin).

The only area you’ll have problems soldering on the raspberry pi is the ground pin as it’s very well thermally connected to the ground plane. Make sure you use on of the met-cal irons with a “wide” chisel tip and it should be doable.

Just hold the soldering iron in reverse :wink: Seriously though, just use the soldering iron to heat the joint and then pull the wire out when it starts to come easily.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Not sure what box I put them in, but I have some if you just want to try something out. I might be able to dig a few up by this weekend.

Soldering to a Pi will make it hard to attach anything to the header later without going to the trouble of getting the solder off.

Here’s a set for under $6, BTW. I get to $6 worth of trouble pretty fast these days. YMMV.
https://www.amazon.com/FTCBlock-EL-CP-004-Multicolored-Breadboard-arduino/dp/B07FYBFJL4

1 Like

there are breadboards on the open shelf towards the back. i’ll donate jumper cables and place them near the breadboards when i go in tues. i got one of the amazon packs someone else in this thread mentioned.

at the front of the electronic area facing out, on the far far right cabinet there is a few “starter kits” for tinkerers that have jumper cables in there. but I’ll donate a larger pack here in just a bit.

the jumper wires are great for testing and such. and definitely dont solder for testing purposes. espeically for arduinos. you’ll risk overheating components over and over when you’re just trying to get the dang thing to work correctly.

3 Likes

That’s super generous @brenly, thank you! When you put them in, do you mind sharing which what color are those cabinets? the black ones or the gray ones in the corner?

Thanks again!

Think there’s proto brds on the same wire shelves. Last time I was in the ELab there was a proto brd on one of the benches w/ someone’s left over project. Been there for a while. Guessing they’re done w/ ckt. Remove parts and build your own. Old phone cable wire works great on proto brds. There’s several spools on the wire shelves. Solid wire and free.

1 Like

Proto brds and wire on wire shelves -

Phone wire on wire shelves -

2 Likes

I highly recommend a breadboard breakout. It makes it easy to swap the Pi or move the project.

A bunch of people make them. I think Microcenter has something similar.

1 Like

the brushed steel reflective metal cabinets up[ front have starter kits with some jumper cables . i forgot to bring my donation when i went in the other day. but i’ll toss them where the above breadboard photos are when i do go in.