July Leather-working Project Class Suggestions?

I’m starting to plan the project classes for July and I’m looking for suggestions. Ideally, they would be items that can be made in a few hours, don’t require wet forming, or dyeing (for lack of time), but besides that I’m open to ideas.

Post a suggestion if you have one please!

1 Like

I need a belt and I missed the last class. Can we do a belt class again?

In particular I’d like to make a mechanic’s belt. They lack a metal belt buckle because that might damage the paint on a car when you had to lean over the vehicle.

Here are a couple images showing different styles:

5 Likes

Whoa, nice belts. …

1 Like

Camera / guitar strap. Opportunity to customize either before or afterwards on the laser.

4 Likes

this might be crazy but what about a alligator wallet?

also a great idea.!!!

Do alligators even have pockets?

1 Like

Guitar strap would be fun. I remember seeing Eddie Vedder’s strap during the Rock and Roll HoF induction performance and thinking, I could make that! Seems like a good leather-n-laser project…

(terrible pic, by the way, but what I could find quickly)

Cover for kindle/e-reader, tablet, etc. I don’t know if it’d be complicated (too many variations for class time) to have students be able to measure/fit their own device (but maybe a good exercise), but if doable making a custom cover for digital device would be awesome.

I have a kindle with a pathetically worn cover :slight_smile: looking at the construction, it feels like it might not be tooooo complicated. (Or if it’s too much for a class, I’ll be picking your brain this summer) :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I like the idea of making covers or sleeves for a Being Your Own Device.

Here is my kindle sleeve.

5 Likes

I don t have a Kindle, but I have a frined witn one with an Aug B day

Pet leash? Probably too simple, but something many people would have a use for.

Haversack?

Belt pouch with snap cover?

Knife-sharpening strop?

Knife sheath?

Multi tool sheath?

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions all.

I don’t think I’ve had a single class that didn’t go longer than scheduled and I’m really hoping to find projects that can be fully completed in 2-3 hours, and are useful items.

I’ve settled on Pet Collars w/ a matching leash for the July Project.

I’m “fairly” confident this can be completed in a couple of hours, and it will introduce the use of rivets and the hand press. It will also allow for a little customization if anyone wants to try stamping.

5 Likes