July Culinary Appreciation Thread

Trinity Mills

We like Kroger and Whole Paycheck, but we’ve had issues with produce like you described at both. Besides, the beer selection at that Walmart isn’t lacking :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have no pics, but we have made these a couple of times during lockdown.

instructional video; auto-play with music warning

https://tasty.co/recipe/3-ingredient-creme-brulee

(edit: yikes sorry about the loud auto-play)

Feels like cheating making creme brulee with vanilla ice cream :smiley:

3 Likes

Totally doing that this week! Thanks for posting this!

2 Likes

Sous Vide Crème Brûlée is so easy!

3 Likes

Next week I’m in a “Chopped” type competition in a Facebook group I belong to.

The ingredients we have to use are: Chicken cutlets, bread and butter pickles, cheese whiz and prunes.

Experimented today and this first try turned out surprisingly tasty.

Peri peri chicken meatballs. Chicken, egg, bread crumbs, onion, garlic, smoked paprika, ground peri peri, molasses. Stuffed with cheese whiz and bread and butter pickle.

Deep fried briefly to brown, seal and fix shape. Then sous vide in the sauce. Nice slow cook at 150 to avoid blowouts.

Sauce is a smoky, sweet, spicy plum (prune) barbecue sauce made with prunes, white wine, honey, peri peri sauce and liquid smoke. Thickened in the end with a bit of corn starch.

If anyone has any great ideas for that list of ingredients send ‘em my way.

8 Likes

Inspiration from @BarkingChicken to grow mushrooms. They are just starting to pin.

9 Likes

Spray them with water every couple of hours! Those are gonna be gorgeous in two days.

I built a Shotgun Fruiting Box for them. Didn’t do anything until I drilled the air holes in the box. Now they are taking off, mist the side walls 4-5 times a day. The blue oysters are a day or so behind.

2 Likes

Grilled some Chicken tenderloins. I used Cajun spice for mine. Taters are not made from scratch.

My wife wants a Pineapple mango but we have not had any luck finding such a recipe.

6 Likes

Baked a stromboli tonight

13 Likes

Scratch crust?
What’s all in there?

1 Like

Not a scratch crust, I’m a terrible baker. I just used dough from WinCo.

It’s got mushrooms, peppers, ground beef° and mozzarella inside.

°- fake ground beef because I’ve got a vegetarian in the house and I’m too lazy to make separate meals.

There is none left, so I guess I’m not the only one who thought it was good :wink:

5 Likes

Mmmmmm Stromboli. If I were home tonight I’d make that for dinner.

2 Likes

It would be interesting if we took some of these recipes and made a cook book for kindle. We could sell it to raise money for DMS.

Anyone interested in giving that a shot?

7 Likes

I have a wicked buffalo chex mix recipe I would add.

3 Likes

Ooh care to share? My sister loves Chex mix and I’m sure she’d love to spice it up a bit. Maybe if we made a cooking SIG we could just have a page on the wiki with some recipes!

1 Like

I wrote this up a long time ago. You can substitute Wy’s Wing Sauce with your favorite.

Jack Napalm’s Chex Mix.pdf (62.9 KB)

2 Likes

Anyone can post a page to the wiki; no SIG required.
Mark Havens already has a dandy Lion Salad recipe out there from waaay back!
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Dandelion_Salad

PS: Some “genius” created an “edibles” category, just for this kind of thing…

1 Like

Been making pasta…lots of it, lol.

15 Likes

Those look amazing!

2 Likes