July Culinary Appreciation Thread

I have made biscuits before work this morning!!! not burnt!

8 Likes

Which one did you buy, looking to get a grill to supplement my BGE? Is it possible to do two zone cooking?

1 Like

Not gonna lie…this made me laugh out loud. (partly because I do not actually HAVE any ketchup in my house at the moment. Who the hell doesn’t have KETCHUP?!?)
Thank you for posting up this recipe. :+1:

3 Likes

I have had this a couple years now.
https://www.fredsappliances.com/grills/grills/freestanding-grills/TFB88PUB/
It doesn’t have 2 zones. I have used it quite a bit, just this is my first time for brisket.

4 Likes

Where did you find your brisket? I have not been able to find them at Kroger or Central Market and the online ones I have found have been very expensive. I know Bar b q joints are having a hard time finding them as well.

Looks like an awesome grill.

2 Likes

I got into okonomiyaki in San Francisco in the early 90’s. It was great, but I don’t do mayo (at all), so I have to forego that dish when the restaurant has an infatuation with that particular condiment (which some Japanese restaurants do).

2 Likes

Been using this for about a year and a half after having it built to spec. Maintains a 5 degree temp. variance, side to side. 36”x48”, 3/8” plate steel.

6 Likes

Will be baking some rustic bread in my Romertopf, clay baker sometime this week. Pics. to follow, once baked.

5 Likes

Ain’t that the truth, I’ve had it brought to the table absolutely slathered in it. I like mayo and sometimes it’s too much. I’m a fan of the okonomiyaki at a place called Abe in the H mart plaza in carrollton, but my experience is limited so if you have recommendations around here I will try them out.

2 Likes

Does anyone know of a fresh not dried source of garlic in North Texas? I want to try this recipe for toum. All the garlic I have gotten from grocery store has been very disappointing the last couple of months.

4 Likes

When I need it fresh I usually go to central market. The stuff at Kroger is generally old enough that it’s lost a lot of its juice and heat.

I’ve heard it’s super easy to grow here, but for some reason I’ve just never planted any. Maybe that’s my project for this afternoon. :wink:

1 Like

I bought my Brisket this time from Walmart. Last week they had a refrigerated end cap full of them. When I picked ours up, they had 8-10 out.

I picked up fresh garlic also at Walmart a few months ago.

2 Likes

I have been buying from Cental Market and it is horrible. I wondered if they are having a hard time sourcing it this year. Also I am having to do Instacart so that maybe one of my problems. Not to slam Instacart shoppers I appreciate all they have done for our family during COVID but it is always better to shop for yourself.

I want to grow some next year and get really fresh garlic. I think you may want to wait until Aug. 25 to Oct 15th to plant them. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have had the same problem with grocery delivery from both amazon and instacart. The fresh stuff they pick is about 30 minutes from going off. Just the other day I got a bunch of roma tomatoes and within a day they were getting spots and looking funky, so were the serrano peppers I got, and those should last a decent amount of time.

I just put a handful of cloves into some containers indoors to see if I can get some started before the end of August.

Anette has ordered from these people in the past, http://bountifulbaskets.org/ the stuff is always fresh, but you have no control over what you get so some weeks it’s awesome and you get a load of black plums and make awesome pies and others you get more yellow squash that you could possibly consume in your entire lifetime. It can be fun once or twice a month but its hard to keep up with it when you have a couple weeks in a row of veg you don’t like.

2 Likes

Central market has changed up their garlic recently, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re having supply issues.

2 Likes

We have garlic planted in our garden as well. It’s grown about 3” in the past few days.

3 Likes

@mrjimmy and @collinrh, strange recommendation, but my wife and I have had wonderful experiences with curbside pickup at the Super Walmart in Carrollton. I’m not normally a Walmart fan, but they’ve done a great job with produce for the most part, and they’re contactless now

2 Likes

Worth a shot, I don’t live far from there. Is it the one on Trinity mills or the one at Frankford and Marsh?

1 Like

I usually order it when in California. Never had it here. Perhaps I need to try it locally (post-pandemic).

Ali-Baba makes some righteous Toum.

2 Likes