July Culinary Appreciation Thread

Monthly thread where you can post all your pictures of your amazing foods, baked goods, and kitchen gadgets here. Be aware that we will almost certainly ask for recipes, so providing them ahead of times is good form.

2 Likes

Honestly, I’ve never been asked for a recipe…

1 Like

Yours look tasty, but pretty self-explanatory…

1 Like

Fair…
The Yakisoba isn’t and both the yakisoba and Yakitori have very specific sauces…lol

2 Likes

I haven’t made this yet and I’m not sure I am brave enough to make it, but for anyone who may be interested in giving it a shot, here you go:

3 Likes

This one looks like a winner

“ HEINZ SAUCY SAUCE CREAMZ

The curiously delicious Heinz Saucy Sauce is the perfect flavour blend of Heinz Tomato Ketchup and Heinz [Seriously] Good Mayonnaise in one delicious bottle. So curious in fact, it’s best served topped with peanuts, Heinz Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce and lime to recreate the flavours of a Pad Thai. A squeeze of Heinz Saucy Sauce creates a surprisingly sweet and tasty treat in a Heinz Creamz.”

The picture makes it less so

3 Likes

I have a friend who once made duck fat ice cream. It was shockingly bad. Since then I have been suspicious of any “savory” ice cream. But if you make it I’ll try it!

A note on the duck fat ice cream. Since it was made with a fat that isn’t liquid at room temp it didn’t really melt. It was well over a hundred that day and the scoops held their shape. At least until you touched them and broke the matrix that was holding the liquid in suspension. It was scary.

Also I’ve cream shouldn’t be gamey.

Thankfully he also made Shiner Bock ice cream with chocolate covered potato chips. That was amazing.

3 Likes

The Garlic Ice Cream at The Stinking Rose is actually very good.

4 Likes

I’ve heard that, but after the duck fat experience I’m hesitant to try it.

2 Likes

We had a ton of yellow squash gifted to us over the weekend, and while looking for a new recipe to use it in I found one that also let me use up some cherry tomatoes - Shrimp Pasta Primavera!

It turned out really delicious and filling even without heavy sauce!

10 Likes

On my part, that’s because your stuff is intimidating, including but not limited to using them furn words and weird writin’. :smiley:

(emphasis mine).

3 Likes

Made my 3rd stab @ sourdough. This one turned out “pretty good”.

Also, today’s lunch was a boring old grilled chicken salad, but it sure was nummy.

8 Likes

Years ago on a vacation to Sweden we had a beet and goat cheese pie that was magical. I’ve been trying to recreate it for years. I’ve gotten close, but never exactly it. Tonight I didn’t even try, I changed up the base recipe a lot. It’s got a layer of honey roasted beets, a layer of mascarpone custard, a layer of beets and it’s topped with slices of a blueberry and lemon goat cheese. Finally it’s drizzled with honey and some lemon juice.

This is before it went in the oven:

Here it is straight out of the oven:

10 Likes

Was Jonesing for some pineapple upside down cake so made one today. :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Ok… now that I quit laughing and I can breathe again (I laughed way too hard at that) I see where you’re coming from and the only thing I can say in response is, be happy I didn’t use kanji.
I guess you’ll have to forgive me because I know a lot of my recipes by their names in Japan, Thailand, Korea, Italy, France, etcetera.

Though I never really thought what I cooked with intimidating, but…oops :rofl::rofl:

To be honest, a lot of what I prepare looks pretty self-explanatory, but it’s not when you take into account the technique and other things that I’m doing that aren’t seen.
As a quick example, my Mushroom Swiss burger look like a simple burger with Swiss cheese, mushrooms and a sauce on top. In actuality that is not all that it was.
There were caramelized onions and seasonings for a real French onion soup that were mixed in to the meat itself before the Patty was formed and seared.

A lot of my recipes are quite a bit more in depth then people tend to think just by seeing a picture. There are several that I have cooked for and they have watched me and seen what I put into some of my recipes.

2 Likes

Darned tootin’!
Cause if you did, I couldn’t even mispronounce them properly!
I’d just sound like Larry the Cable Guy…“uh…gimme one of them upside down houses with a goat in it…”
But I sure like reading about it, and if you choose to throw in any recipes, I’ll sure read 'em, and probably imagine myself capable of making some bits…

4 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ok, yakisoba and Yakitori are quite simple.
Later we can get int gyoza, Okonomiyaki and maybe what makes a good yakiniku.

So here is Yakisoba.

Okay, before we get started I want to put a disclaimer in here stating that I cook by sight and taste so with the exception of the sauce recipe, everything else are as close to approximate as I can get. So of course, feel free to add a little more or a little less to suit your particular taste.
With that said, on with the show!

Yakisoba
1 Cup diced chicken, sliced beef, sliced pork or any other protein you choose (I like to use 1/2 cup chicken and 10 large shrimp when I have them :grin:)
1/4 diced, sliced or julienned carrots
2 cabbage leaves
1/8 cup bean sprouts (optional. Personally, I don’t)
Vegetable or any neutral flavored oil (best if in a squirt bottle
Salt
Pepper
1 scallion chopped
Yakisoba noodles (if you are looking to make a quick yakisoba or can’t find the noodles, a pack of instant raman will work)

Yakisoba sauce

1 tbs sake
1 tbs mirin
1 tbs soy sauce
1 tbs tonkatsu sauce (if you don’t have that, use 1tbs of worcestershire)
1.5 tbs worcestershire sauce
1 tbs oyster sauce
1 tbs ketchup
1 tsp sugar
pinch salt and pepper

Making of the sauce

1. Measure everything and put in a bowl. Stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved. Done.

Preparing of the noodles.
If using fresh yakisoba noodles from the cooler.

1. Get a bowl of HOT water (not boiling) place your noodles in the water. You want them to soak for 15 to 20 minutes.
    If using instant ramen.
    Place ramen brick in bowl, add water to cover. Place in microwave and cook for 5 minutes. Remove and strain water off.

Cooking of the rest of the ingredients.

1. Get you wok out, add about a table spoon of oil and place over medium heat.
  2. When hot, add carrots. Keep the carrots moving because is doesn’t take much for them to burn and you have to start over. Cook for about 2 minutes.
  3. Add chicken, pinch of salt and pepper. Keep it moving, the carrots will still burn.
    Cook the chicken through.
  4. Add bean sprouts if your using them. Cook for about a minute to a minute and a half. Keep everything in the wok movi
    ng.
  5. Add cabbage. Cook until the cabbage starts to reduce. Keep it all moving.
  6. Move everything to the sides of the wok and add about a tablespoon of oil to the wok.
  7. Add noodles. Really keep it moving. Flip and stir the noodles until the oil has coated them completely.
  8. Add the sauce. Not all of it. Add enough to coat everything and slightly change the color of the noodles. Keep everything moving.
    Cook for about a minute.
  9. Plate and top with a pinch of salt and pepper then add your chopped scallions.

ENJOY!!

Notes.

1. I cannot stress enough about keeping everything moving in the wok because it will burn and burn very quickly. A lot faster than you would think. Especially the noodles. If you don’t keep the noodles moving, they will stick, burn and start turning crunchy which is not what you’re looking for.
  2. The consistency with the noodles you’re looking for is an al dente. You don’t want a mushy and you don’t want them crunchy.
  3. The consistency of the vegetables that you’re looking for is cooked with a slight crunch. Slightly cook with more crunch will end up overpowering the dish. Especially the carrots, they will overpower this dish very quickly.
  4. Salts. I used two salts with this dish. Kosher salt to cook and a fine grind Himalayan salt for seasoning after plating.
  5. If you like it a little spicy, a Sprinkle of shichimi togarashi kicks it up and adds really nice flavor.
6 Likes

I’m in, sign me up! When do we start?

3 Likes

I watched a few too many episodes of nailed it and decided to buy some modeling chocolate. This is my first attempt.

What I’ve learned is that you have to work super fast, it works like Play-Doh for about 5 seconds then it fairly quickly gets much softer. It doesn’t seem to fully melt like real chocolate, but once it’s warm it will not hold a shape at all.

6 Likes

Well, it sucks Covid happened because I wanted to make Brisket. My Father in-law came in town & I decided to make some Brisket. I used Pecan, Apple & Cherry. This was also my first brisket on the Traeger. It took 16 hours due to a 4 hour stall.

We also made Tater skins

14 Likes