July 8 Welding Classes Order

Good afternoon,

I am new to the space, but I noticed that on July 8th you are holding some welding classes at 1pm that requires the safety class, and the safety class at 5pm. Do you think it would be possible to take both in the same day and count as good? Or do I have to go to the 5pm one and wait for another welding class later?

Thanks!
Jeremy

Edit: When I try to sign up for the class, I get this message:

Notice! This event requires completion of the Welding Safety prerequisite. Check the calendar for classes which fulfill this prerequisite.
Have you met the Welding Safety prerequisite? Let us know and we’ll update our records accordingly.

Yes, both are usually taken the same day.

Enjoy the class and a new skill … Welcome to the world metal working.

Mind you, Welding at the Space has two Schools of Kung Fu Style Welding: @LeeCJones “LC Lee” - Shoalin Temple style where grasshoppers learn: purity, patience, harmony of arc-plasma-filler … more minimalist style.

The other is “Red Beard” @TBJK , heavy Nordic or Highlander overtones - think Berserker: more is good, a lot is much gooder. None of his welds have been known to break … they are usually 2X~3X the parent material. Legend has it he frenzied and ran just a continuous bead that formed a sheet too thick for the Plasma Cam to cut. :wink:

Enjoy the classes!

3 Likes

Thanks for the tips! So it shouldn’t matter if I we take the welding class before the safety class, as long as it’s on the same day?

I heard someone ask Lee the same question last month, and his answer was that no, they no longer allow people to take them the same day. He told that person that they would have to take the welding class the next month.

I suspect this is being driven by the calendar software which will not allow someone to register for a class with a requirement until they meet that requirement in the system. It can be worked around, but would mean extra work for the volunteer teacher.

P.S. I also heard that there were a few people who signed up for the safety class, but only showed up for the welding class… So when people break the rules, …

I would be interested in knowing the answer to this also. I have signed up for the Safety class at 5 but would like to sign up for the others as well if possible