July 2017 Kiln News

Started a glaze kiln last night. Right now it’s about 1000F, so it’ll probably be out tomorrow afternoon. I’ll load a bisque kiln right behind it.

I didn’t get Anita’s big bowl in. It was just a smidge too tall and wide.

2 Likes

Going forth to unload the glaze kiln. And load up a bisque kiln.

2 Likes

Bisque is unloaded. Nothing is full enough to predict which we’ll load up next. If you’ve got bisque, you might consider either glazing it or taking it home!!

1 Like

I’ll going back there to load up a glaze kiln. As soon as 1) that’s out and 2) the dragons are dry, then I’ll load bisque.

I’m not even involved in pottery (yet) but I just wanted to say I appreciate the way you do these updates, plus all the personal time you put in shuffling kilns

5 Likes

Thank you!!! I really appreciate these updates and plan my week around them. :slight_smile: I also really appreciate the work loading and unloading the kiln, glaze kiln unloading day is like a mini Christmas for me when I get to see if my glaze experiments worked.

2 Likes

The glaze kiln is unloaded. I’m going to wait for the kiln shelves to cool off a bit more and put some kiln wash on them. Once they’re dry I’ll load up the bisque.

2 Likes

Bisque has been run and been unloaded. A few things were too damp to be loaded, but there will be another bisque kiln next week. I’ve got a hand-building class Sunday 7/16, and those items will be fired as soon as they are dry. Not sure where we stand on glaze, but it didn’t look like there was much yet.

4 Likes

Unloaded bisque. Stuff is scattered, with some pieces on the lower glaze shelf and a couple on the greenware shelf. I’ll play tetris tonight when we get back in.

The glaze shelf still looks a little short of a kiln’s worth. I’ve got a class Sunday, so I’ll be running another bisque next week, depending on the status of the glazed ware.

2 Likes

Started a glaze kiln running last night (still heating as I type). There were 2 pieces that didn’t get in.

After I take this out (probably Sunday night), I’ll load up a bisque kiln.

If you’ve thrown something and never got to it in time to trim the foot (bottom), I’ll be moving dry pieces over to the no-fire zone (shelves on the far right). I’ll want your name and either phone number or email if you want those pieces fired.

1 Like

Glaze kiln is unloaded. Going off to load the bisque up now.

2 Likes

Most dry things got into the bisque kiln. There were 4 big and tall pieces, and only 2 of them would fit. All the dry smaller pieces got in.

Did the big White vase with lid get bisque fired, and the blue ruffle bowl glazed fired?

The blue bowl got fired, and is out. The Big White Vase did indeed get fired. The pieces I couldn’t fit in were one of Matt’s (?) wall pieces, and the crystal woman piece.

Thank you Beth, I will stop by and pick them up.

Oops – I meant the white vase is in the kiln. I started it last night, so it’s not likely to be out today.

I will be dropping off the big white piece tomorrow at lunch time for glaze firing.

1 Like

Bisque kiln is running. S/b out tomorrow before that class. I’m planning on starting a glaze kiln Monday night.

3 Likes