Joy of Maintaining the Woodshop

Don’t I recall the blade guard being broken too lately ? I was trying to figure out how that might happen. I think we have a candidate.

Someone needs more briefing at least.

1 Like

It also appears that a piece of lumber was placed directly to the left of the work-piece and then braced against the flip-stop…effectively pinning work-piece against the blade and creating a “cross-cut against a fence” scenario…a big No-No.

Given the set-up (a non-flat/non-stable work-piece pinned like it was) this cut would probably kick back like this 90+ times out of 100.

3 Likes

We need to have a class on emptying the dust collector. Or someone show us please.

3 Likes

When are you available?

I regularly give the lesson to anyone in the shop when it is time to empty the Felder

3 Likes

Sunday evening?

The process is real easy [I’m writing it up for those not able to attend Sunday (like me)] - this is how I do it, so if there is an easier way let me know.

1. Turn off the dust collector [red button on the side of the machine]
  2. Turn local disconnect off [rotary switch next to red button] - doing this will prevent the cleaning burst from happening
  3. Raise the bar which will lower the cart and allow it to pull out from under the machine
  4. Take full bags out and put on roll around cart [they aren’t too heavy just bulky]
  5. Empty bags [but save them] in dumpster at the end of the automotive ramp - try and be upwind of the dumpster, the sawdust does blow around
  6. Reinstall bags back in cart, push cart back into place under the machine, lower bar, turn machine back on

Getting the cart back into place is the biggest pain of the sequence. If you look in the hole where the cart goes, you can see the two rails the bar rides along - make sure they aren’t covered in sawdust. I sometime need to “reset” the cart (lowering and raising the bar) a couple of times to get a decent seal between the cart and machine.

7 Likes

That, and an unflat, unlevel underside allowed the wood to twist while being cut, leading to a curved cut which eventually bound up. A thin bandsaw blade has MUCH less contact inside the kerf and is much more tolerant of this sort of issue.

If they had
a) used the resaw bandsaw
b) used a crosscut sled on the bandsaw and stabilized the wood’s position with wedges or brass screws, or
c) used the jointer to flatten one side, or
c) all of the above

They would have had much more success. The wood’s greenness and internal stresses would still have been an issue, so the bandsaw would still be the best bet for the actual cut.

2 Likes

I hope you don’t mind; I “borrowed” your directions into the freshly minted Felder RL350 wiki entry.
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Felder_RL350

8 Likes

Agree on the fiddly bit being the final step. I’ve emptied the Felder a few times, and getting the cart to reseat properly is always the hardest part.

I can help tell me when I am available most days!

@Team_Woodshop
With the help of several awesome members, I have collected enough A and B roll footage for the dust collector, SawStop, Kapex, Jointer and Planer QR code safety reminder videos already. I am ready to start editing the first set as soon as I get back in town. I will more than likely be at DMS next Monday in the late AM to do so. I would greatly appreciate any help I could get with the editing software at the space. I think I will be using Adobe Premier Rush or Pro, but I am not an expert on either. If there is an easier program to use for this I would be open to that as well. (@Team_Digital_Media) I also need to help with finding the best place to host these internal videos. (@Team_Infrastructure)

10 Likes

I can’t help editing in the AM, but can in the later afternoon and evenings if you make a queue of what’s left. I’m sure @Kevin will be thrilled at the collab potential here.

@Team_PR controls the youtube account. We can put the videos there and use the permalinks in the QR codes for them. I’m doing this for some other training already once I get the videos done.

Thats great! Let me know where they live and I can schedule them on the display in the woodshop.

Right now all of the raw footage is on a portable hard drive. I tried putting some on the member drive but it took a really long time. Kevin has some on the gopro cloud as well. We’ll get it centralized once the clips are edited.

1 Like

Interestingly enough I just did a qr code based promotion for a client over the Superbowl and the results were surprising. Just short of 100k scans in 3 weeks.

Now that the reader is integrated into the cameras on iPhone and Android people are apparently using them.

3 Likes

Does step 5.5 need to be “vacuum the rails in the cart compartment” ?

1 Like

Thank you (and everyone else who is helping) for doing this. Thank you for caring enough about DMS to invest your time and effort to make this a reality.

3 Likes

honestly adobe premier is great for that. I’m happy to come by and help on monday with editing advice. What time might you be there? 10-Noonish?

2 Likes

Episode; Hand tools

So as I was working on one of my projects, a fellow member walks by and says " I found one of the chisels"

Well at least part of one

Chisels really shouldn’t be used as a pry bar! :astonished:

3 Likes

So when you empty the Felder

It was plumb full again and @Chris_Fazio and @pierce emptied the trolly in the wind, so the sawdust went, well see for yourself

Thank you guys for doing that.

9 Likes