Joy of Maintaining the Woodshop

Videos are great idea. We have made a couple of attempts at starting this process. One was to look at available internet content. It has been less than productive. Next we have had a couple of folks video all of the content of the 1-4 classes then then walk away.

We are looking at efforts to add videos, but it is one more project in a list of many things to do.

Even just a basic video, recorded on a cell phone is better than nothing. I don’t mind helping out with this if needed.

1 Like

Episode; A little help from our friends

Here are some new additions to the Woodshop. Jim @bbchops build new RFID stands, 2 of three are done. Should help with cleaning and reduce damage of the boxes. Take a look

Thanks Again Jim.

9 Likes

that is a very nice idea

Episode; A little help from our friends part Duex

Our push sticks had gotten a little ratty. They did what the were supposed to do, keep fingures out of saw blades

So last night Jordan @whyyyyyyyyy milled up a bunch of new ones

Thanks again Jordan!

13 Likes

I would like to create a one page laminated document to be attached to commonly (ab)used tools. I would like to get some input before I create a few. The page would have the following:

Tool Name - Picture
Common Accessories (if any)
Risks
Do’s
Don’t

Consumable replacement location and instructions

For the Edge Sander it would look something like:

Edge Sander – Picture
Common Accessories - Cleaning Stick
Risks - Pushing too hard will cause the sanding belt to heat up or tear holes in it.
Do - Use the cleaning stick prior to use. Use the middle of the tool.
Don’t - Push too hard. Sand PVC.

Consumables - Replacement belts are located in the drawer. Remove the guards and loosen the tension using XXX tool. Make sure the belt is in located in the middle of the rollers. Tension and replace guards.

If we had one of these for each of the tools that we have the same damage happening over and over again, maybe we can reduce some common errors. For example, the Festool sanders require hook and loop sandpaper, and you can’t push very hard, etc.

I know most people won’t go to the tool wiki for this information, so having it attached to the tool might provide a bit of what not to do. I also realize this isn’t going to stop all abuse. I think it might provide someone with limited knowledge of the tool, to not make a common mistake.

Thoughts?

7 Likes

I really like this idea.

I wholeheartedly agree!! One page, laminated, and attached to the tool in plain view. I’d like to add a couple of items to your list: Just below the picture I would add a very brief description of the tool and what it’s best used for (or the most common applications) and a “preflight” check list. On the bandsaw, for example:

Bandsaw - One of the most versatile tools in the shop. The bandsaw can be used for cutting curves, resawing boards into thinner slices, and cutting bowl blanks from logs. It can cut material that is too thick for the table saw and thick wood in general much more safely (no kickback!)

Before you turn on this tool:

1. Open dust gate
  2. Check to make sure the blade is tensioned properly
  3. Raise or lower the upper blade guide so that it clears your work by about 1"
  4. Think through the quick shutdown procedure for this tool and be prepared in case anything goes wrong with your cut or the tool.

When you are finished:

1. Brush off the band saw table
  2. Close the dust gate
  3. Put away any accessories you have used.

Common accessories:
-Fence
-Miter gauge
-Push stick

Do’s
Don’ts
Consumables

I really like the preflight/postflight checklist.

My goal is to create a template that we can use for as many tools as we like. Store the template and editable documents in the woodshop committee folder for easy updates in the future.

Do you think a QR code to the wiki would be too much?

1 Like

I think QR codes are largely ignored.

Depends on who you think the “customer” is. The younger and/or more tech savvy folks will appreciate a QR code. Others, not so much. Can you reach a few people with a QR code? Sure. So, I’d say go for it, even though I myself am not likely to use one.

I am in favor of the concept.

I think the plan might evolve to this, an preflight check list, a poster above the tool and a QR code that ties all this to a single place in the Woodshop wiki.

So take a couple of tools and build out samples prior to the next Woodshop committee meeting, use the sander as an example, maybe one of the jet bandsaws and maybe collaborate with the turners for one of the lathes.

Thanks for volunteering.

4 Likes

Episode; Big Hair or Big Headband.

We had a problem with the Felder sucking the dust bags into the machine, tearing the bag causing early retirement.

Kris Anderson @Kriskat30 made some great big hair bands to hold the bags in the dust bins.

Ain’t they cool

Thanks again Kris!

7 Likes

Episode; Oh No!

I was given this picture tonight. I am not sure of the time it was taken or the participants in the event…BUT I am really certain this is not a good Idea. And it might explain why the Kapex keeps getting broken.

I am amazed and will be adding signage to say this “Is not Excellent” or something to that effect, strong message to follow

Sheesh!

And yes the log had to be pried off the blade. May also account for the bent blade the other day.

Episode; Well one more time

Yup, Multicam again. So after all the work over the weekend, getting new spoil boards installed, new gaskets on the spoil boards, everything resurfaced, and pristine.

Then on Tuesday we have this:

No report of problems, No note that something is wrong, no effort to patch the board, just damaged and walk away.

Proving true the Lord’s promise that someone should confess their Multicam sins. XD

2 Likes

I have shot about 20GB of 4k B roll footage for the woodshop videos this week. I attempted to shoot first and second person descriptive video as well, but I couldn’t crank out a single shot without getting interrupted. I will try and get them finished soon, but it may require shutting down the woodshop for a short period. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if you see me setting up the GoPro on a tool, or wearing my funny looking 1st person head mount, please allow me to finish recording before asking any questions. Videos will be tool (not class) specific, and will be linked to a QR code displayed prominently on each machine in the woodshop. No tool permissions will be given for watching the videos (yet), they are only intended to increase safety awareness and reduce machine downtime for users who have already been trained.

12 Likes

What happened there? Someone trying to cut through and the saw couldn’t handle it?

Probably forgot to set the material top height or miscalculated/misprogrammed the thickness of their material and the machine chewed completely through the part and into the base.

so when they saw it bury itself for the first letter they just said ‘oh well’ and let it continue. No excuses. Especially since they did not report it.
“Oh, I didn’t see it after I pulled my board off” will be the next excuse.

1 Like