Jointer - is it working today?

Hello!

Last night I was in for a class and the jointer stopped working. I was wondering if anyone knows if it is up and running today?

Thanks!

-Jenna

I tried it twice today, it is currently non-functional.

I updated the wiki tool status page to “Not Operational - Needs Review by Tool Expert”

1 Like

Thank you very much!

Also, the infeed/outfeed tables are currently not co-planar as well. This may be a hold-over from the last time this was brought up; it’s not clear if we ever got the necessary precision straight edge needed to check and/or correct that issue.

I have a precision Starrett 24" straight edge if you’ll would like to borrow it for setting this up.

Chuck, Tim and I pulled it apart tonight and found some bad caps on the motor.

2 Likes

Probably need a minimum 4 ft length and ideally more like 6ft in length. I was under the impression that something like this was either purchased for this use and then stored somewhere “safe”, or was intended to be purchased but maybe never got around to it.

It’s been awhile and it may have been corrected, but the blades were not aligned. Running a board through created an uneven ridge on jointed portion. Work around was to move the fence to miss the uneven blade on each pass. Stock was thin enough to get jolnted that way.

I don’t suppose it’s still under warranty, is it? Because we might not want to “fix” it ourselves if it is under warranty.

You know one of these does a great job, doesn’t need a motor, and can provide a very useful straight edge.

The consensus was that it was not under warranty as our warranty is void for industrial use.

No matter how long the bed, you don’t need more the a 2’ straight edge to align the infeed and out feed beds. If you want to check if the beds are warped, then you need a longer straightedge.

I’m confused…I can’t see where it plugs in?

5 Likes

That’s not entirely true. We have replaced it under warranty at least once. @Azalaket would know for certain.

Yes we have already replace the motor once under warranty and AGIAN outside of warranty. Since we are a member based organization powermatic categorizes DMS as commercial usage, so our warranty is 2 vs 5 years. We will replace the capacitors as a bandaid to keep the machine running, but will likely need to source another 3hp motor that is more in line with the power we have in the building. Electricity is not my field, so I am open to suggestions.

1 Like

I can call T. Gray tomorrow for a few options.

1 Like

Yes! It is definitely working

1 Like

Have updated the tool status wiki

1 Like