Jewelry question

I was wanting to work on some jewelry tonight and I have no way to have access to the tools. Please explain @Team_Jewelry?

After last committee meeting, more stuff got locked up. Issues with abuse and things disappearing. Folks get codes during training on various areas now, or if you’ve already been using and request etc. A deterrent to issues that had been cropping up. Sending text with further info.

Here’s a different thread on this:

1 Like

Things disappear all over the space. I feel like at least a couple of sets of hand tools should be available. Can you imagine if CA had everything locked up??

I wasn’t in on the discussion. I know for quite awhile some things were unlocked and that changed at that meeting. I’m sure @nausser915 can offer more on that.

In an effort to help maintain the possession and condition of our tools restricting access was discussed as a committee in more than one meeting. During the last committee meeting on Oct. 13th. we voted to lock things up and offer a safety orientation, much like woodshop does. It was an idea that seemed to be working on other tools in the space and we thought it was worth a try. A basic set of tools was left open in the jeweler’s bench and all the PPE gear was left unrestricted. The remainder of access was broken down into three categories.

1. Dept. Safety & Orientation - Provides access to everything, but the casting equipment and polishing supplies.
  2. Intro to casting - Provides access to wax working and casting equipment.
  3. Polishing & Finishing - Provides access to the high-speed buffing wheels, compounds, steamer, and cleaning supplies.

These categories were also requested to be added as prerequisites to the calendar system. If this structure is found to be effective, we can offer everything through Moodle. In the interim, it is my goal to help the dept. offer more classes and more access to more members. We have been growing a great collection of tools and enhancing capabilities in our department, and I hope we can find balance keep that going.

6 Likes

So I can’t have access to a pair of jewelry pliers without taking a class?

No… There should be an entire set of pliers in a black case, inside the bottom drawer of the jewelry bench. There should also be a ball ping, raw hide and hammer, manderal, flex shaft handles, some files, etc. If they are not there, someone has moved them or walked off with them.

Found them. They are not labeled. Can you tell me where Jewelry has advertised that you are now locking everything up? I am not a fan.

1 Like

I appreciate the feedback and apologize for not posting anything. This was only recently implemented and I thought it best to work out any kinks first, such as the locks not latching. key box jamming, broken key, too cumbersome in the workflow, etc. I was also interested in how the RFID locking system on the 3d fab cabinet would work to see if that was perhaps a better alternative. I am certainly open to other ideas on how to prevent contamination, damage and the loss of tools, if this system isn’t the best. However, there was unanimous support from the jewelry committee to give this a try. We all just love our tools and want to keep them nice :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Getting a camera trained on the area was voted down

I remember mentioning at the time that we needed to have a lot more
classes and that folks needed to be told a bout it

I did not know about the tools in jeweler s bench. I have been at all the recent
committee meetings, The pink handled tools are not very high quality. Why dont
we make a couple of the drawers in the original roll around non
locking and leave a selection of general use tools there, Anyone using them
would know that thay might be contaminated with steel

And we need some way of telling folks that we do not have tools made for
working steel in out area