Jetta Oil Leak Help

Hey everyone, I have a 2007 VW Jetta with an oil leak. Would anyone be able to help me get lift certified and/or take a look at it with me?

Thanks!

Background:
We changed the oil in it a week or two ago. I got an oil warning light earlier this week and it had leaked most of the tank. I think it’s coming from the oil filter housing, which the previous mechanic had severely over-tightened and we could barely get off, we got under it and took off the filter housing and checked it for cracks, checked the o-ring, etc. We didn’t find anything so we put it back on as tight as we could but it’s still leaking. For the moment, the leak is slow enough I can still drive it if I need to.

Did the leak appear only after the last oil change?
I can help take a peek under the car tomorrow after 7.
Would need to get confirmation from @TLAR if I can get you certified for the lift however.

His input on what may be the cause for your leak would also be invaluable.

P.S. Are you already a member?

Yeah, it wasn’t leaking before the oil change. If I messed something up though, (totally possible) I can’t tell what.
And thank you! I’ll be sure to be around Friday evening.

P.S. Yes, I joined a couple weeks ago.

YW.
Have an oil filter handy, just in case it’s needed. And oil too if you don’t have already.

1 Like

Right?
But yup, lubricated it both times.

Don’t you pilot an aircraft? (they have similar filters for fuel etc do they not?) Much more “eco” friendly and smarter recycling than a tin can filter…

1 Like

Cat

Most likely problem is, the oil filter housing is cracked and will need to be replaced.
This happens when the car is serviced by someone that should be doing something else for a living.
The housing is about $230 plus tax.(I used a 2007 Jetta with a 2.5 for an example)

1 Like

Less wallet friendly - well that would depend on where you source your parts from wouldn’t it?

I’ll stick with cartridge filter as much as possible, as found on larger and & military aircraft. Granted not found on “all” cars or your puddle jumpers, but still the better route to go