Jet Lathe "Elroy" - No power to Control Panel

FYI

Many thanks to @jeffhess for troubleshooting the machine Saturday! Appears to be a problem within the control box assembly, more info to follow.

Thank you and @jeffhess for maintaining the lathes. I know it feels like a thankless job sometimes, but we appreciate all of the efforts you both are pouring into this.

2 Likes

let me share the vacuum chuck we made in Calgary

Due to our high altitude, max vacuum was 26" of HG, and it came real close to that.

AND THEN… thefella whom wanted it pitched to loan a much bigger lathe, different threads for chuck, etc, and the vacuum attachment don’t fit it!

Ahhhhh…life in a makerspace!

1 Like

Any progress on repairing Elroy? I noticed the control box was disassembled as of 3pm Tuesday. What do we know about what is wrong with the control box? @jeffhess @prl2018

After Jeff’s troubleshooting it is believed to be a faulty control panel assembly. Should be a DM about Jan 7-8th with more detail.

Did/do we have one in our parts inventory? I couldn’t find your recent inventory.

Did we vote on/order one at the last WS meeting?

On a Jan 5 message thread re: lathe parts below I think one was being requested:

@SWA ?

These two need Woodshop Committee approval

Control box OVER $200 MUST HAVE COMMITTEE APPROVAL
Buy 1 $415 (entire box)

ereplacementparts.com

Controller Assembly [JWL1221VS-CA] for Jet Power Tools | eReplacement Parts

Buy a Jet Controller Assembly [JWL1221VS-CA] for your Jet Power Tool - We have the parts and diagrams to make your repairs easy.

OR
Buy 1 $280 (circuit Board only)

ereplacementparts.com

Buy a Jet Controller Assembly [JWL1221VS-CA] for your Jet Power Tool - We have the parts and diagrams to make your repairs easy.

I asked Ian to order the entire control box, since that is what we passed during the committee meeting. Should be in soon?

prl2018 DMS Member
February 9

After Jeff’s troubleshooting it is believed to be a faulty control panel assembly. Should be a DM about Jan 7-8th with more detail.

Did/do we have one in our parts inventory? I couldn’t find your recent inventory.

Did we vote on/order one at the last WS meeting?

On a Jan 5 message thread re: lathe parts below I think one was being requested:

@SWA ?

These two need Woodshop Committee approval

Control box OVER $200 MUST HAVE COMMITTEE APPROVAL
Buy 1 $415 (entire box)

ereplacementparts.com

OR
Buy 1 $280 (circuit Board only)

ereplacementparts.com

1 Like

We do not have in inventory. The control assembly was voted on and passed. Don’t know if it was ordered or not. ereplacements has one for 415 and toolparts pro has one for 336. @SWA

Review a couple entires above.:slight_smile:

@ian Did you order the JWL1221VS-CA control assembly? Is there an estimated delivery date?

Thanks,

Great! Thank you!

Are there any other tools or materials needed in order to comfortably teach the lathe basic and pen turning classes?

I believe wheels are turning to get a replacement control box. I disassembled it and left as is thinking it would arrive sooner than it has.
I will install replacement controller when I get word it is onsite.

dwolf DMS Member
February 9

Any progress on repairing Elroy? I noticed the control box was disassembled as of 3pm Tuesday. What do we know about what is wrong with the control box? @jeffhess @prl2018

1 Like

It was ordered.

Should ship tomorrow it looks like.

@SWA - this means we’re gonna use the spare from inventory before it was ever a spare so need to vote on another one at next meeting.

1 Like

Did we vote and order the tailstock assy for the OneWay?

Other than that I haven’t been there since early January … Anyone else see anything needed?

Thanks

I have no idea, but I will check. Time to move things like this to Source so the loop can be closed. These these threads are a bit too messy to keep up with. Would you mind helping me flesh out an appropriate setup to track orders and such for woodshop?

This was in use way back when. Might be a good base to modify? Could be helpful in tracking past purchases and frequencies as well?

I’ll take a look. Everything is moving to “The Source” , i.e. Confluence . The whole twenty different places to find information is becoming tiring. :slight_smile:

Thank you.

Let me know what kind of system you want to use to track inventory and orders. I don’t want to design one. But once you say we are going to put everything in _____ (Sheets, excel, some fancy work flow thing,…) at locate it at _______ (drive, dropbox, DMS wiki…) I would be glad to load the last order and the current Lathe area inventory. I feel your pain on multi dimensional information storage.

1 Like

I replaced the controller today. Elroy is working.

4 Likes

Thank you!