Jeep WJ's electrical gremlin

As far as I could tell, the missing pin is for the beep you get when the rear hatch is open, confirmed with the service manual.

Also I agree with you, trust me it doesn’t make sense that it would be the alternator, but the facts are it never happens when the car is only on battery power.

After 30 minutes

This is probably an artifact of the transition to digital odometers. When I was shopping replacement clusters for my Ranger, they apparently program the milage for you… with a $300 core charge in addition to the ~$200 price to encourage one to return the old one so they can verify mileage. I opted to simply futz with replacement backlight lamps for that kind of money.

1 Like

Haha yeah, I was reading some more today. For the WJ it’s stored on both the cluster and PCM, if there’s a discrepancy apparently it’ll throw a MIL light. I did learn that they can reprogram the gauge really easily though, which is good news because the cluster I got has some fancy lighting mine doesn’t have :slight_smile:

Time to step wayyyyy back in time and opt for a engine with carb(altho I think Honda was once of the last import autos to switch to injection) and fuel pressure regulator to reduce the pressure to single digits and require zero computers or modules?

There are enough old farts around to help with the half dozen or so wires you’d need to power the choke, coil, oil pressure sensor, coolant temp sensor, alt wire and exciter,

The stone age could be your answer to Jeep Paradise

1 Like

Help me find something like this that’s almost entirely electrical free :slight_smile:

Utes are the future!

1 Like

Those came in a huge variety of body options and engines / transmissions outside of this country.
Here are a few in 4x4 drivetrains

Doka 4x4

for classified listings :
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?submit=yes&keywords=&type=text&stype=all&username=&yearfrom=&yearto=&pricefrom=&priceto=&model[]=&section[]=55&wanted=show&zip=&zipdist=0&state[]=&usaregion=&country=&sort=date&sort_order=DESC&submitButton=Search

Better yet,

MITSUBISHI DELICA EXCEED STAR WAGON

Jeeze they didn’t even risk the boxy factor for the tires

https://yubasutter.craigslist.org/cto/d/1964-gmc-suburban-extra-long/6373465783.html

Amateur Hour if your going on a trip take friends!

1 Like

This will “date” me for sure - but I remember as a kid coming back from one of my Dad’s overseas tours and landing in New York - getting our seven memmber family picked up by an airport transportation service’s american sedan with 3 or 4 doers on each side.
This was long before the term “suv” or “minivan”" or “airport shuttle” was created…

This would have been the early 1970’s - just in case there are some that wish to look up “vintage airport limousines” of the era.

This one would make a great retro party wagon …

2 Likes

Did the plane have propellers or those new fangled gas pushers?

2 Likes

The wife likes, scratch that, loves this car

2 Likes

The Boeing 707 was first then came the 747 in my days as a yute traveling from the west coast to the middle east and states and places in between except for the cruise aboard the S.S. United States from pier 86 in NY to France

1 Like

Not enough chrome on that one Tim!

It’s only 175k to get one. There was only 5 or 6 made.

Looks like a hearse or ambulance.

Envy you on SS US. Supposed to be a really impressive ship - fastest crossing the time, may still be.

Govt helped build it and was designed to be easily converted to carrying something like 14,000 or 15,000 troops, a whole flippin division of grunts. Disney & Princess wishes it could pack them in like that.

1 Like

Based on the same body/frame from my understanding.

Late last year, my WJ acted up.

The key would not turn in the ignition. After minutes of fiddling with it, it finally rotated. But the turn signals, interior dome lights, HVAC, power windows and sound system would not work. The tach worked, but the speedometer and odometer were dead. Both the brake and anti-lock brake lights were on though the brakes still worked. I limped home, shut it off and turned it back on and it worked fine then. It only did this once.

The symptoms were just as described in this post: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/key-won-t-turn-ignition-655409/index3.html#post32551362 down to the whining noise from the transmission when I put it into neutral.