Jeep WJ's electrical gremlin

Right here in Allen. So much want; so little room/need. Does this require a CDL?

1 Like

Short answer as suspected: if you want to be sure to avoid hassle, yes. https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?54389-do-i-need-a-cdl-for-a-5-ton
If you’re okay with hassle, maybe not…

1 Like

That’s a nice truck.

1 Like

Actually It’s not a CDL, its a Class A or B is all you need to get. But similar idea.
https://www.dps.texas.gov/administration/driver_licensing_control/rolodex/cdlExemptVehTestSites.htm

2 Likes

The next episode of Dirt Every Day (on YouTube next month) features the Unimog,

The was a former us army FLU419 with it’s attachments removed…certainty not a made for the highway by any stretch of the imagination.

This only applies when/if you are using it for just those 4 purposes (running to/from a farm for its business, public service such as moving injured people, military vehicle being driven by military personnel, or an RV). If you want to freely travel on public roads, regardless of your business, and your vehicle is over 26,000lbs, you need a CDL. The 5tons, it appears SHOULD fall just under that @ 22,750 ish (according to wonkypedia). But in some states having tandem axles and/or air as part of the braking system will get you CDLed. So if you want to avoid all that, get your CDL.
Or pretend you’re a farmer and be closer than 151 miles from the homestead, which, with a top speed of ~52mph shouldn’t be so hard…
:cowboy_hat_face:

Most non commercial drivers that fall under class A requirements are towing RVs. The annoying part is that the requirement is based on the rated capacity, even if you never load to the 26K combined weight or 10,000 trailer weight threshold. Not sure what the legal definition of RV is, but I would argue that any non commercial ownership of a retired military vehicle is inherently recreational, if not masochistic.

1 Like

Insert "any Jeep, most vehicles made in the usa in the 1980s, all Italian cars…) " or pretty much any vehicle over 30 years old - that is a “recent acquisition”(insert “I’ve always wanted one of those”) and / or the one acquiring the vehicle is not familiar with how to operate, maintain or repair it - then yes “masochistic” often fits the experience.

Have owned 7 Jeeps, can confirm.

Found something today, previous owner didn’t crimp down the wire connectors

They were held on by tape and very jiggly…

also @suchsojasco do you have a battery tie down? Can you take a picture of yours?

3 Likes

Wow. That spells electrical problems.

2 Likes

Bah!
I’m sure that white, powdery substance on the right-hand wire is PERFECTLY normal…
( :wink: )

1 Like

I sniffed it to be sure don’t worry

3 Likes

Apparently, I’m going to spontaneously ignite if I don’t post a rhetorical question…

What MAKES someone DO such a knuckleheaded thing?

Since the negative was crimped down fine, no idea… same types of ends so I assume done at the same time?

1 Like

BB on the negative side, AB on the +?
Or maybe PO did the negative, and THOUGHT Bubba was followin’ d’rekshuns on t’other?

Just wow. I’ve seen radio amps killed by intermittent contact at the battery post. Hope his was your only issue, and that everything survived.

1 Like

Oh OK so the actual tray locks in? Makes sense thanks