• How to run your project
  • How to debug your project

Python Language Constructs

• Control Flow
  • Loops
  • Lists
  • Dictionaries (time permitting)
  • Functions (time permitting)

Live Demo: Coding a weather bot that tweets weather updates…using Rick and Morty Memes. Example: https://twitter.com/WubadubWeather

I’ll post the date when I figure out how to reserve a classroom.

Curious to know what kinds of programming topic people might be interested in a class for. The main areas I could cover, by language:

Java

• Language intro: Basic language constructions, IDE intro and some simple sample programs
  • Design Patterns: Explanation and implementation of a few useful design patterns to make for clean, modular and extensible object oriented code.
  • Data Structures/Algorithms: Guided tour of what data structures do what, what they are good for, what kind of runtime to expect (Big O).
    Artificial Intelligence
  • Genetic Algorithms: How we can model natural selection to mutate and evolve the strongest AI. Demo components could be modifying A* search algorithms and/or tweaking fitness function and mutation parameters to guide evolution.
  • Game Theory (chess or similar): High level concepts of building an AI. My background is in chess programming so it we could start with a skeleton AI and tweak parameters/add features to improve performance. (This could be done with other games if no one else likes chess)
    R/RStudio
  • Introduction: How to get a dataset imported, basic ways to manipulate, summarize, and visualize your data

I’m also reasonably competent with webdev, databases, and Linux if there were any topics people were really curious about there.

If it wasn’t obvious, I’m a newbie at DMS so…be gentle. :smiley:

1 Like

I am wanting to get involved in programming any classes I would be interested in taking. I would love some lower level classes. As I know verry little.

AI yess! I am extremely interested in this topic, was planning on having some speakers come to talk on this! cant wait for your classes

@beard_n_brain Sure, would an Intro to Java class fit the bill for you? It’s a good general purpose language. Anyone else want an Intro to Java class?

@Josh_Melnick Glad to hear your interest! Which classes of the ones listed would you be interested in? Trying to see what lessons/projects I should put together.

Java would be good

Python would be better

I am interested in python and AI, I have wanted to take for a long time but I am only available Sun-Tuesday.

I am not asking you to schedule your classes around me, but I am a highly motivated and interested student!

I am interested in Python and Java I just really want a good understanding of what they are capable of and why you would use one over another. Plus where to start when programing. Sunday through tuesday works well for me as well.

@beard_n_brain @Josh_Melnick @Sk8nmike
Looks like Python is the common theme. I could definitely do an Intro to Python class, what do people think of this as a syllabus (2 hour class):

Python Language Overview

• What is it? How is it used?
  • What can it do?

Intro to Python IDE PyCharmer

• How to setup your project
  • How to run your project
  • How to debug your project

Python Language Constructs

• Control Flow
  • Loops
  • Lists
  • Dictionaries (time permitting)
  • Functions (time permitting)

Live Demo: Coding a weather bot that tweets weather updates…using Rick and Morty Memes

This class will assume basic computer/logic knowledge but will start from the ground up as far as Python goes. Definitely open to other live demo ideas if I’m the only Rick and Morty fan. Also thinking 7 PM to 9 PM on a Monday or Tuesday, is that time good for people?

Ideally people would install PyCharmer before the class (I could provide instructions), that would save more time for coding.

1 Like

That would work for me

How about Mondays? Sound like a wonderful course outline!!

This would work for me

@beard_n_brain @Josh_Melnick @Sk8nmike

Thanks for the input guys, I’m pretty excited to do this. I’ll try to figure out how to reserve a classroom and post back when I have a date/time.

I coded up a proof of concept for the live demo last night if anyone is curious what we’ll be building:

Check out RickAndMortyWeather (@WubadubWeather): https://twitter.com/WubadubWeather

Python is definitely something I’m interested in! I hear it’s the ideal language when transitioning into the scientific community (rather than corporate). Is that so?

@pterodactyl Python is a very popular choice in the scientific community. TONS of libraries for scientific functionality from graphing to statistics to everything else. Easy to pick up too.