January Computer Committee Meeting

When/where: https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/15030

@Hackerspace

1 Like

Is there any big items/talking points? looks a little sparse.

If you can patch me in on a videoconference I’m interested. I can’t make it physically at that time. Thanks.

1 Like

We probably ought to follow up on the BoD item to coordinate with Digital Media and Education to start a coordinated effort to build a computer lab since the last agenda item was tabled for this reason.

Kevin and I worked on a proposal for the Orange room. I’m wrapping it up.

Anyone can add an agenda item if voting is needed. Otherwise, discussion items can be added in advance or can be brought up in the meeting.

Can we get a bigger room? I’m asking, because I know Kirk’s class is very popular. The class is tonight, so he should be around for someone to ask him how many people are enrolled.

The more spots open for classes, the more likely the classes will run.

For the committee meeting or instead of the Orange room?

I think Orange might be too small for a full computer lab, but I don’t know where else we’d put it, unless we use laptops that can move into a different room for larger classes.

I think we can fit 7 workstations in there based on the measurements Kevin and I took.

1 Like

I don’t think we have another option.

1 Like

I think we have to seize this opportunity to get something good instead of aiming for perfection. We also have to prove ourselves.

2 Likes

Doug Emes is trying to get his company to donate some nice laptops. 8 of them.

1 Like

Some classes need to be limited in size.
This is especially true when students are new to the topic.
Fewer students allows for more questions to be asked along w/ discussion.
Available hardware such as embedded / dev boards also limits size.
The current Arduino classes are examples of this.
Size of a class has very little to do w/ whether it will “run” or be successful.

3 Likes

The thing with computer software and hardware classes where you’re actually building stuff is that you can’t actually have too many people because troubleshooting takes a lot of time and you’ll get nowhere. This is my experience as well as what @Dale_Wheat has told me

1 Like

7 cramped with elbow touching. About four is realistic.

That’s false and I have the measurements to prove it.

Pics/docs?

I’ll purposely crash into @denzuko to prove his point (Kidding!)

So yes, I agree @raffi and @artg_dms that building and troubleshooting classes need to be smaller.

My orientation is end user classes, but I’m happy to try it your way so we can get something started.

This is quite true and why both Pearson and other testing center standards tends to be around five to fourteen attendees max.

At best one usually can expect three to six attendees.