January 2022 Machine Shop Committee meeting

I’d like to remind everyone that the Machine Shop committee meeting is this Saturday at 5pm in the Lecture Hall.

All are welcome, even if you are new. If you have any interest in machining, I encourage you to join us.

Hopefully we will have some Bridgeport parts & parts for the drill chucks. Perhaps before or after the meeting we can make a quick job of it.

No real set agenda. We should have some new drill bits by then as well.

I think there might have been some mention of ordering some new coldsaw blades.

I would also like to attempt to lower the lights & get some more readings on some lighting numbers.

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/17232

4 Likes

I have a social event I have to go to at 7 PM and probably won’t make it. My only update is that I’m teaching a full Shapeoko 3 XXL class tonight and submitted another Shapeoko 3 XXL class for mid February to the calendar today.

I’m trying to learn Solidworks and really liking it. There’s some good educational materials online that I’ve found though I still wonder if we’re going to have classes on it at some point.

Have a great meeting!

2 Likes

I’ll be doing the mastercam class before the meeting. If you want I can give a quick demo of the software since I’ll already be set up

4 Likes

Here is the link

Dial-in: (US) +1 302-316-4240

PIN: 242 242 744#

What a great turnout. I think I counted 21 people in attendance.

We did investigate the lighting situation more. We essentially climbed up a ladder 5 more feet with the light meter. This simulates lowering the lights by 5 ft which is about all the flex conduit we have to lower the light. The reading at regular height is about 220 lux. 5ft closer to the lights is about 330 lux. For comparison, the flex area is over 1000 lux. The old machine shop area is in the 600 range.

2 Likes

Hey, sorry I couldn’t make it, I had homework to finish.

I’m completely new to machining. I’ve done my share of designing as an engonnering student, but haven’t done hardly any of the actual fabricating. Have no clue where to start.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Just a cynical observation: Most people in the actual manufacturing of products believe few, if any design engineers overcome this handicap. “Hey, if I can do it on CAD on Mt. Olympus, why can’t you make it?” :grin: :rofl:

1 Like

I try to be a little considerate to the manufacturer. It’s just so easy in CAD to get… Distracted…

But I have non-academic/professional projects where being able to machine would be helpful.

1 Like

The other thing you sometimes get, are engineers who have been ridden so hard by the bean counters for design for manufacturing, that service becomes impossible.

2 Likes

If the machinist was worth his salt he could make it :slight_smile:

1 Like