Jacking rails and the DMS lift

I have a 2019 Mustang and I will be adding some jacking rails to the sides, they will run the length of the side, parallel to the pinch where you would normally jack the car up. The whole purpose of the jacking rail - as I understand it - is to give you a much bigger selection of sections to jack from beyond the 2-3 pinch welds the car offers. Here’s the question - with the addition of the jacking rails I should be able to just drive onto the DMS list and start lifting the car, right? At that point, it should make no difference where the lift pads make contact with the underside . . . right?

Disclaimer: I’m not even lift trained.

Wouldn’t balance be important?

1 Like

My lexus is300 is super picky about jacking points, its known to crush the pinch welds if you jack the car up from them, similar to this (skip to 4:10 if it doesnt do it automagically). however since (i assume) the pads on the lift are so large and spread the weight of the car across the whole length of the pinch weld its not been a problem for me. I’m not saying that your car will be the same, but thats been my experience with lifts with similar style lift pads.

1 Like

I’m not looking for general answers, I’m looking for answers specifically related to cars with added jacking rails

Can I suggest that a Mustang forum might be a better resource for a specific-to-a-single-model question?

2 Likes

You should be fine

You won’t have to worry about blocking etc as long as the rails make clearance for everything else in your undercarraige and distribute weight, which if they’re what I’m thinking of should.

However, you must balance your vehicle. It will be easier to balance, but don’t assume it will be as you initially pull it on.

2 Likes

The problem with the sled lift is not balance for a unibody compact car like a mustang. The problem you’ll run into that you will need to make sure the jacking rails fix, is they must be the lowest hanging part that sits on the sleds. No brake lines, brackets, shields, fuel lines, or any other non-structural pieces can hang lower than your jacking rails.

Jacking rails real benefit is when you use a traditional jack, or a traditional lift with the arms. Due to this design, I would use the jacking rails mounted on the rubber blocks.

2 Likes

The jacking rail is irrelevant for this kind of lift. Some cars can’t be lifted at all because there are components in the way that would get crushed. Jacking rail or not, take the training and lift it like any other car, carefully and safely.

1 Like