It's time for glassworks to get a sign

here’s the work in progress idea for it.

the logo is opaque black glass, all the blank space will be random bits of colored glass, with some back lighting and a frame

we have a huge box of lead came so I’m going to be using that to make sure the sign has a classic stained glass look.

hopefully the CNC works out for us, I’d like to use it to make letters like they were discussing were possible with it.

the plan.

20 Likes

we got a huge box of sample squares that were perfect to use for the color tiles.

made some progress today getting started on it

13 Likes

Those are awesome, but if we somehow rigged up a coolant system got a diamond burr used slow feed and high rpm it’s actually relatively easy to use one of the smaller cnc for glass cutting if anybody wanted to go nuts with a cad design

more progress

17 Likes

side one done.

we flipped it later. I hear there’s video of the effort

15 Likes

and the flip side is done. 38 minutes of soldering, I have video from a go pro but don’t know what to do with it.

now I need to figure out the frame.

7 Likes

Can’t wait to see it hung and lit up.

1 Like

Great job, @PearceDunlap!

Is the GoPro footage time lapse or just straight video? When will you be at the 'Space next? I can ingest and process the footage for you to publish wherever you’d like. Let me know.

DD

Also, what type of frame do you have in mind? I might be able to help with that as well. Not sure yet, but I might have enough African Teak scraps from a recent project that we could use. I’ll be at the 'Space later today and will take some measurements. The thin teak strips may not be what you have in mind, and I may not actually have enough material, Will let you know.

Hmm… how do you envision the back lighting be done? Mount the framed glass assembly on standoffs and mount to a backing board or something that has the LEDs (I’m assuming) and associated electrical system behind a translucent diffuser, so that the finished piece can be hung on the Glass Works wall?

DD

1 Like

this is my idea for the frame. I’m just using one of my known functional boxes that I make as a reference. I don’t do much other wood work.

the stained glass (the backwards etched mirror in my demo) would be slightly inset in the box with some slits cut into the wood to hold it in. the backer would be a big mirror to help reflect the led lights that will be inside. I imagine it will be about 5 or 6 inches deep and around 38x38 inch total. I’d have to check on the actual dimensions.

1 Like

I shot video assuming I could just chop down to a time lapse, looks like the GoPro cut it into 9 min sections, I got them converted to MP4 files so I could actually play them.

I can leave them in the glassworks folder on the dms network when I get in next.

Nice looking frame! I know I don’t have enough teak to do a 5 or 6 inch deep frame, so we’ll have to source material elsewhere. The black would look really good, though, don’t you think? Happy to help with constructing the frame, if you’d like. I don’t know anything about the electronics part of things yet, but would appreciate being able to watch and learn from that process as well.

DD

Was your intention in taking the video to convert to a time lapse? That’s easy enough to do. Let me know when the footage is in the folder and I’ll take a look and see what I can do.

Thanks much!

DD