It's OK MOM will clean it up

Correct. I was a Chair eons ago!

Oh pshaw. It was only eight months ago.

I seem to recall…as I was Vice Chair of Laser at the same time. :clinking_glasses:

2 Likes

Pshaw??
seriously? you just said Pshaw.

1 Like

How do you delete things in this forum??

1 Like

Your own or someone else’s comment? I’d like to know the latter if possible. :rofl:

2 Likes

Why protect these people’s identities? They deserve the “About the cover page on your TPS reports, didn’t you get the memo?” treatment.

Because DMS has an anti-harassment policy, that’s why.

(Edit - no it’s the privacy policy that prevents releasing information that might subject a member to harassment)

1 Like

Also, chairs came together and decided it was best to not go directly into public shaming. That would be a last resort.

2 Likes

Public shaming would be a violation of the anti-harassment policy, even as a last resort.

(edit - should be Privacy policy which prevents release of info that could subject a member to harassment)

1 Like

Since,

Did the

Get a slap on the wrist? Suspended? Stern warning?

Just curious because what makes calling out someone for disregarding the clean up you mess rule as harassment?
Isn’t that just like news reporting someone was arrested in connection with a crime, but in this instance there is video proof showing the whodunnit?

My bad, it’s the Privacy policy.

In addition, the Dallas Makerspace will not provide or display any information which may subject a member to fraud, identity theft, harassment, or provide a means for subjecting the member to increased risk of fraud, identity theft, or which may enable another person to engage in Internet fraud or attack, or may enable another to identify, contact, or distinguish any member, without the express written consent of the member(s) owning the data.

“Public shaming” may subject a member to harassment by other members - that’s the point of public shaming, right?

As for what happened to the transgressor, that’s up to the committee chair to decide.

Do you know the definition of harassment?

How is stating facts harassment?

I suppose next you will tell me that the truth is up to interpretation?

Do you know the definition of harassment?

Hey, no as a matter of fact I don’t. Maybe you can define that, and then explain the purpose of public shaming. Then maybe we can see where those might overlap.

Then we might look at this part of the policy:

may enable another to identify, contact, or distinguish any member, without the express written consent of the member(s) owning the data.

and then you might see how posting someone’s name and/or picture with “this person bad” might open them up to unwanted contact from other members. (edit: or if it’s posted on the public side of Talk, even non-members like myself might contact the offending party.)

2 Likes

Facts can be demeaning, humiliating and/or embarrassing …

2 Likes

"Typical examples of power harassment include:

1. being scolded in front of other colleagues, rebuked in a loud voice
  2. neglect
  3. false evaluation and demotion."
2 Likes

Facts are none of the above. Facts are facts, people put those labels to them.

I think it is how the facts are presented that make the difference. If they are put in a public/membership forum, for example. If they are put in a way that are demeaning or embarrassing.
Sometimes just releasing the facts can be harassment…

From Wikipedia

Harassment covers a wide range of behaviors of an offensive nature. It is commonly understood as behavior that demeans, humiliates or embarrasses a person, and it is characteristically identified by its unlikelihood in terms of social and moral reasonableness. In the legal sense, these are behaviors that appear to be disturbing, upsetting or threatening. They evolve from discriminatory grounds, and have an effect of nullifying or impairing a person from benefiting their rights. When these behaviors become repetitive, they are defined as bullying.

demeaning
adjective

1. causing someone to lose their dignity and the respect of others.

humiliating
adjective

1. causing someone to feel ashamed and foolish by injuring their dignity and self-respect.
2 Likes

If you go to the wiki and search on “Expelled and Suspended Members” there is a list of names and offenses. Seems like basic facts not harassment.

1 Like