ISSUE: Thunder Laser not cutting correctly

I tried using the thunder laser to cut fabric this morning with no luck. I cut the same fabric earlier this week on the thunder laser with no problem. I made sure my focus was correct and cleaned the mirrors and it still had issues.

Can someone please take a look at the laser and troubleshoot?

I’m open to help and would like to be taught how to service the laser.

Thanks!

Make sure the beam is not impinging on the inner wall of the lens holder. We had an issue once where the focus knob was left too loose and got dual test cuts since it was hitting the edge of the orifice.

If I remember correctly you had issues cutting your stuff in the FSL when we fixed the power supply and it was working at it’s full potential. Could be the same thing going on here.

I just used the thunder last night and it was fine, along with some people cutting 3/8 wood.

I did make a change to the laser but that was a fix and for it to continue working properly should not be reversed.

I saw the note when I arrived but noted that the lens holder was extended a bit too far and remembered the loud whistling noise it has been making not only when the laser is firing but continues for a few more seconds as if caused by the air assist. Sure enough, the air assist tube had previously been mended where the clear tube joins the smaller green(?) tube with masking tape. The masking tape had been pinched and had a hole torn in it, creating an unpleasant whistle.

Because it was only tape, I replaced the tape as I don’t think I’m allowed to do anything more significant. After the replacement, the laser (and of course blower) is as close to whisper-quiet as I have ever heard it and it is cutting through the stock I am using without any problems at my usual settings.

I suspect the issues you were having were caused by improper lens alignment and the lack of air-assist.

1 Like

Whistle is fixed. It was farther back than the mended areas.

Lens holder should be as close to the top mirror as possible, if it’s farther out raise the z table and then adjust the holder. Being too far out can cause the holder to be ever so slightly off causing a change in focus.

2 Likes

Is there a way to set the software to do multiple passes and force it to follow the set priority for cutting? It sometimes cuts out of order from the color priority that i’m setting.

I used the laser this morning and had better results by lowering the speed to 70 for my fabric cuts and doing multiple passes for any thicker material. Had to raise the table as high as possible and lower the holder to match the 3d printed focus tool. After I finished, I raised the holder to it’s original position.

I’d have to see the program before I could give you the 100% correct answer but to change the path order you go to “handle” (top of program window) - “cut optimize” - and then a small dialogue​ box opens where you can tell it to do it in color order, in to out, bottom up, etc.

Yes you should be raising the bed up all the way for thin stuff like fabric.
Preferably raise the focus tube all the way up first, then the bed all the way up, and then lower the focus tube to the right height.

2 Likes

Thank you for the info Pearce!

Adding to what Pearce said:

In addition to Inside Out, you can specify it to use Layer Order.

In the lower right, select “Path Optimize”:

Then from the Menu>Handle(9)>Cut Optimize option: